Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When in Judo / BJJ guard...crosstraining also?

Options
  • 24-07-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am progressing nicely with Judo and am currently a Blue Belt in it. I am really enjoying it.

I am considering cross training in BJJ as my ground game is kind of weak. Does anyone else do this or can they recommend it?

Also, while in a Judo/BJJ guard, is the first thing to do to always get out of the guard position?

Any other ground fighting principles greatly appreciated.

Regards,

A.H.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orol221

Hi, there is a short 2 part 12 & 5 minutes document on Rodolpho Viera how he uses Judo in Bjj its on youtube. Gives u bit of understanding what u can use in BJJ from Judo if you haven't already.
    Guard ... it's up to you, if your body is close to Manny Gamburryan's, playing close guard might be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Hi average_hero,

Judo is great . BJJ is great. Being well versed in both however, makes you a very skilled and scary individual to come across in a grappling competition :) . You will be dropping BJJ guys on their asses, and triangling Judo people left right and centre if you do both to a reasonable degree of competence.

As regards your specific question, I assume you mean the closed guard? There are a few different ways of approaching it. Look up youtube "closed guard pass/break" to see a view good ways of how to do it. As always though, ask your coach for guidance. If you trained in both arts, ask both you coaches ! The key is to learn a few different ways to approach every situation, that way you can respond effectively no matter what the opponent does.

Here is one video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G97xHCC2OzE . This is from a BJJ school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Cross training for them is great. But I would say Judo has a lot more to offer in a BJJ competition than BJJ does in a Judo competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Flavio Canto is a great example of both a BJJ and Judo black belt. I think i read he'll be at ADCC this year, but i'm not sure where. Might be bull****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I6-3ScFYcA
    Cross training for them is great. But I would say Judo has a lot more to offer in a BJJ competition than BJJ does in a Judo competition.

I would agree too, but it's mostly because sport Judo has been massacred by it's compeition rules. Also, the interpretation of refs to newaza and how much time they allow to work on the ground.

I hope the same doesnt happen in BJJ, which is why i really dont want it getting into the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Tom and pablo ye both have it right. What I find amusing is that a judoka is permitted to use more actual judo in a BJJ competition than they would be in a Judo one, with all the silly new rules about grips and leg grabs and stalling and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

OP in the guard, your first priority is establishing and maintaining good posture. After that you can work to open the guard (if it's closed) and either pass or disengage.

Tom.D.BJJ don't worry about BJJ getting into the Olympics, it doesn't even meet the most basic criteria.

Advertisement