Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla Migration to 2.5

Options
  • 24-07-2013 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me out, I am having a bit of a nightmare trying to migrate my joomla 1.5 site to joomla 2.5, I've got a fairly basic website to date, which I'm proud of but can't go any further without migrating to get new components etc. however I have spent a seriously long time trying to migrate it with no success

Is there any chance someone can PM me to help me out.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I tried this a while ago. There's no magic bullet I'm afraid, the steps I went through were:

Define a new Joomla site (2.5 or above) on a local machine
    Migrate the old site to it - it won't work, probably because the template isn't compatible
    Pick a new template & install it
    Fix the bits of the site that need fixing

You then need to blow away the live version of the site, install the same version of Joomla as local, then copy your new version of the site over it.

It's more messy than complicated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Use the JUpgrade component to bring over all your J 1.5 content. Do this offline locally and never on your live site. You'll then need to find out if all your components/modules are J 2.5 compatible, and whether or not they have migration options. If your site didn't rely heavily on 3rd party components you should be sorted, however if it did you may have a bit of work at hand.
    Also your template will likely need to be completely ported over to the new formatting. Cannot remember off hand but there are many new changes with Joomla 2.5. I think there may be template compatibility modes you can try to support legacy templates, but I honestly cannot remember.
    If you aren't that familiar with Joomla you may wish to seek help to get this done. As it's a basic site I can't imagine it would cost too much to be migrated, but without knowing about 3rd party components used/amount of content/custom tweaks it's very hard to know

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Ah I've went through everything at this point, having a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

I think what I will do is just simply create a new website using the content from the previous website, theres not that much to be honest.

Is it possible to create the website on lets say www."YourDomain".ie/joomla and then when your done just deleate the old www."YourDomain".ie and make www."YourDomain".ie/joomla the new www."YourDomain".ie ????

Is this easy enough?

Also, I've been enjoying teaching myself Joomla and building this website from scratch, is there anywhere that you would recommend doing a course, or properly learning how to use it, or is self thought the best way?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

YourName wrote: »
    Ah I've went through everything at this point, having a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

I think what I will do is just simply create a new website using the content from the previous website, theres not that much to be honest.

Is it possible to create the website on lets say www."YourDomain".ie/joomla and then when your done just deleate the old www."YourDomain".ie and make www."YourDomain".ie/joomla the new www."YourDomain".ie ????

Is this easy enough?

Also, I've been enjoying teaching myself Joomla and building this website from scratch, is there anywhere that you would recommend doing a course, or properly learning how to use it, or is self thought the best way?

Set up a local XAMPP server. On Windows Vista upwards, install Xampp into My Documents or on the Desktop. Create a new folder called "my_site" or whatever in [XAMPP Dir]\htdocs. Next connect to your sites FTP (using FileZilla for e.g) and copy all Joomla files from the server into "my_site" folder.
    Next open up your web hosts control panel and navigate to the dbms, usually "phpmyadmin". Click on your database and then click on the "Export" tab. Compress the exported sql to zip, gzip etc. and click Go (assuming phpmyadmin).
    Now open the [xampp] folder and double click the control panel .exe. Click start next to:
    • Apache Server
    • MySQL Server

When both say "Started" navigate to localhost/phpmyadmin in your browser. Click on Databases>New db. Name your newdb->sitename or site_db.
    Click on import and import the .sql file you pulled down.
    When successful then go back to [XAMPP Dir]\htdocs\"my_site" and edit the configuration.php. Change the following settings:
    db host: 127.0.0.1
    Db Name: As chosen earlier
    Db User: root
    Db Password: [nothing by default, so just leave $password='';].
    Do the reverse to get the site back up online.

Now navigate to http://localhost/my_site (or whatever the folders name is) and your site should display locally. Doing the upgrade locally is less risky than online. This is a quick overview of the process, sounds complex but is actually quite simple.
    Another tip: I'd recommend raring or zipping up your sites files and saving it somewhere safe, as this backup can be used in case your site ever gets compromised, web host issues etc. Always good to have a backup.

Nick

Advertisement