Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost & lonely---i need help

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place to air this issue but any help would be appreciated. I am deeply unhappy and can’t seem to shake this black cloud that is hanging over me. I am lucky to have a good job that is going well for me and it is the only area of my life that I seem able to be positive and productive. But after that I can’t seem to be happy about anything else in my life. I am single for years and just cannot seem to get that area of my life right at all. I am 27 and now know that I am feeling totally desperate and that in turn is scaring men off, But the desperation is overwhelming me so much that I cannot stop it, I am desperately seeking reassurance that I am loveable and the more it is not there the worse I feel. Added to that I have moved to a new city and feel so totally lonely and alone. I have confided in a friend who has been amazing and I know she is really looking out for me but I don’t want to burden her with my woes constantly so I am trying to keep upbeat for her. I need to talk to a professional, someone that can help me through this, I think my GP will give me anti depressants and that really is the last thing I want, I would like to try and get through it without medication. Added to the above I have problems managing my money and have started alienating my friends, please any advice would be appreciated before I make this issue any worse for myself, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

If you had asthma would you use an inhaler?

That's medication.

Depression can be a huge thing to face and its difficult to deal with at times.

Go to your gp and talk about your medication options. At the same time, make an appointment for a therapist to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How you started alienating your friends because of money or is that another issue? go to a GP and ask them to refer you to a therapist if you don't want to go the medication route.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

Sorry to hear about your distress.

It's great that you have a friend that you can confide in and support you through this. Well done for sharing it. I understand that you feel you don't want to burden her too much but she is a friend and as you say, she will just want to help you get through this.

Please go to your GP and explain how you're feeling. Explain that you're dubious about medication too - he/she will offer you reassurance or another intervention to start with instead. Sometimes 'talking therapies' or even online programmes can be beneficial. The main thing though OP is that you access professional support/diagnosis and not try manage this yourself. Depending on where you live, there may be different services available.

I suppose in the mean-time, be good to yourself, try eat well/exercise/sleep - I know that's pretty boring advice but it all helps - and do little things that you do enjoy, and do them often.

Advertisement