Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA F8 F9 DBS or Griffith?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

hey

i am thinking of doing F 8 & 9 in DBS
    any ideas how the lecturers are there? confused.png

F8 Cormac Kavanagh
    F9 Marcus McInerney

are they good? i was quite disspointed with F5 and very happy with F7 in DBS so not sure what to do for F 8and 9?

is Griffith any good?

thank you for your help
    A
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hana123

Did my F8 with DBS. It was ok, but not really great. Id say sometimes he would spend a lot of time writing notes on the slideshow (not sure what you call it) rather than lecturing w/c doesnt really work for me. Also, expect a large class. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Independent for both IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

I took both in DBS and I passed both with reasonable scores.

I didn't particularly enjoy the lectures but F8 is quite a boring subject (for me it was anyway!) so that was expected. I don't particularly like Cormac Kavanagh but I found his exam preparation technique very helpful. I'll be honest - didn't like the lectures but his revisions were very good and his exam prep tips were really good (I studied F8 for a week and passed with 70% cuz of the routine practice during class with tables and stuff).

F9 was good - not great but still passed with over 70%. F9 has a huge syllabus and you will have to put a lot of work into it yourself. I found the lecture a bit rushed but still good enough to give me a good understanding of the subject and I only needed to practice questions during revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

My honest opinion on both -

Cormac, not a great lecturer but I find it's a subject you have to really do yourself. You can't just be told the stuff, i found I did a lot better ignoring his lectures and stopped going for the last month and just concentrated at home.

Marcus - I couldn't stand his lectures. Don't know if it's a personal taste, but there's too much emphasis on mind mapping etc - he over complicates the course in my opinion. Again, I did most of this at home and ignored his lectures and skipped his revisions.

Noticing a trend for me in the last few so I think i'll be home studying from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

I done both subjects in DBS and had to repeat both of them! I hate Cormac the F8 lecturer, but I found Marcus fairly ok for F9.

My own personal opinion, if I was to have to resit them again, I would go to Mick Bristow in Independent colleges for F9 (I repeated the subject with him and passed it) and I would go to City Colleges to Shaun Browne for F8. I done F8 with Dave in independent colleges and couldn't stand him. I've recently done P7 with Shaun Browne and I wish I had gone to him for F8!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Robin132 wrote: »
    I done both subjects in DBS and had to repeat both of them! I hate Cormac the F8 lecturer, but I found Marcus fairly ok for F9.

My own personal opinion, if I was to have to resit them again, I would go to Mick Bristow in Independent colleges (I repeated the subject with him

I agree. Cormac wouldn't be the best lecturer in the world. Mick is! Mick is brilliant at explaining stuff and I like his fast paced class - no waffling whatsoever.

I switched to Independent after P2 and was equally disappointed with yer man who waffles all the time (P3 lecturer). Not going back to Independent anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I studied both in Griffith and found both good.

Umesh Rana for F8 is a brilliant lecturer. Keeps to the topic, his notes are precise and does a good revision course also.

Michael O'Grady for F9 is a good lecturer but can tend to go a bit fast (there's a lot to cover in F9 so possibly why).

Best of luck with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annaP79

Hi Everyone

thank you very much for your help,it is true that sometimes what we think about particular lecturers boils down to personal taste but for me if lots of people says yes or no to someone there must be some truth in it, I wish I could could study on my own, would save lots of money :)

have still few weeks to think about it but considering doing F8 at GCD, distance learning and F9 at DBS,but might change my mind as GCD is very slow in replying to e-mails and advising on the course

thank you again
    A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I did F8 & F9 with DBS. Cormac Kavanagh is ok but I really didn't like Marcus McInerney's style.
    As Optimistic says he concentrates too much on mind maps etc. I failed F9 first time & switched to First Intuition with Garret Mulvin. I cannot recommend him highly enough. He also teaches F7.
    They are moving to the old BPP building on Lad Lane (off Baggot Street) for the next semister.

hi Mitzy

would you mind telling me what you mean by mind maps? I know Optimistic mentioned that as well? what is that supposed to be?

thank you
    A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

Hi AnnaP79

Mind maps are essentially diagrams where key words are used to make associations to a topic. They are good for theory based topics. They really are a personal choice as to whether you get them or not.
    A good website is www.mapitaccountancy.com I found them great for F8 but when I did F9 with Marcus I found he concentrated a LOT of the theory side which is only 50% of the exam. I felt he brushed over the maths side & really complicated things a lot more than was needed.
    I ended up resitting F9 with Garret Mulvin and the difference was amazing. He simplifies everything and is such a patient lecturer and the class sizes are really small so you feel like you are getting much more attention. I will definately be going back to him for P2.

I hope this help!

right, ok
    thank you for all your help
    need to make up my mind soon but all advice much appreciated,
    who would have thought that picking the college would be so complicated :)

THANK YOU !
    A

Advertisement