Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend books on Theatre

Options
  • 23-07-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'd like to study / read up on theatre so I can improve my knowledge / critical understanding of theatre.

Has anyone any books they could recommend to start off ? And if anyone has done any full-time courses and would like to share some of the suggested reading material , or if anyone knows any online/distance learning courses I could do...

Thanks in advance for any tips.

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Have you access to a university library at all? Would be worth it just to browse and select what you think you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Theory:

Studying plays (3rd ed.) By Mick Wallis and Simon Shepherd
    Contemporary Irish Drama by Anthony Roche
    Modern British Drama: The Twentieth Century by Christopher Innes
    Modern theories of drama: a selection of writings on drama and theatre, 1850-1990 By George W. Brandt
    Theories of the theatre : a historical and critical survey, from the Greeks to the present Expanded ed.Marvin Carlson
    The theatre of the absurd (3rd ed.) By Martin Esslin
    The politics of Irish drama : plays in context from Boucicault to Friel. [Cambridge studies in modern theatre] By Nicholas Grene
    Modern drama in theory and practise : volume 3 : expressionism and epic theatre By J L Styan
    Modern drama in theory and practice: volume 2 : symbolism, surrealism and the absurd By J L Styan

Directing for theatre:

Katie Mitchell: The director's craft: A handbook for the theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SilSil

Spore wrote: »
    Theory:

Studying plays (3rd ed.) By Mick Wallis and Simon Shepherd
    Contemporary Irish Drama by Anthony Roche
    Modern British Drama: The Twentieth Century by Christopher Innes
    Modern theories of drama: a selection of writings on drama and theatre, 1850-1990 By George W. Brandt
    Theories of the theatre : a historical and critical survey, from the Greeks to the present Expanded ed.Marvin Carlson
    The theatre of the absurd (3rd ed.) By Martin Esslin
    The politics of Irish drama : plays in context from Boucicault to Friel. [Cambridge studies in modern theatre] By Nicholas Grene
    Modern drama in theory and practise : volume 3 : expressionism and epic theatre By J L Styan
    Modern drama in theory and practice: volume 2 : symbolism, surrealism and the absurd By J L Styan

Directing for theatre:

Katie Mitchell: The director's craft: A handbook for the theatre

Cool, thanks!

Advertisement