Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler water heating issue?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new house and although the boiler is only a couple of years old I think the hot water heating is not working as good as my last place so just wanted some opinions.

The heating has 3 zones including one for only hot water heating and I have it on for about an hour early in the morning and then another hour in the late afternoon but I find by about 8pm all the hot water is gone?

Also it seems that the boiler has a control to set the temperature on the boiler itself which is at 70 degrees so is this correct as well?

Just want to get an idea of I need to get someone out to look at it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Check the thermostat on the cylinder & also the location of the stat on the cylinder. It should be set to 60C & be located 1/3 of the height of the cylinder from the bottom.
    If all correct, then check the balancing valve on the cylinder coil. Count the number of turns from fully open to fully closed & open half the number of turns. This can depend on some variants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

The thermostat was set at 80 degrees so I have now turned it down to 60 but it looks like it is located on the bottom of the cylinder and not the top as per this photo. So should I move it?

Have also made sure that all the valves are half way open now so we will see how we go.

It's low alright so it would most likely never switch off.
    You could also open the balancing valve fully open at this time of year. Then crank it down in when heating season begins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Is it a bad thing that it never switches off?

Also is the balancing Valve the electrical white box like valve?

shane0007 wrote: »
    It's low alright so it would most likely never switch off.
    You could also open the balancing valve fully open at this time of year. Then crank it down in when heating season begins again.

Yes as it will be wasteful of fuel & risk of water being too hot, scalding for young children & elderly.
    The balancing valve is a round red handle on the heating pipe to the cylinder. Clockwise to close, anti-clockwise to open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement