Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lariam , the time bomb out there !

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭

Report to FDA links malaria drug to U.S. soldier's brutal rampage in Afghanistan that left 16 civilians dead
    '
    • There is no good reason for why I did the horrible things I did': In June, Staff Sergeant Robert Bales pleaded guilty to the rampage
    • Antimalarial drug mefloquin has been linked to neurological events in 5 to 10 percent of users
    • A 2012 report refers to an 'adverse event' where an unnamed soldier killed civilians in Afghanistan after taking the drug
    • Bales also admitted to previous steroid use
    Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I would never take it again. nightmares, hard to sleep, paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Is there any help other than sick leave ?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

whydave wrote: »
    Is there any help other than sick leave ?

Ah the dreams, the paranoia, the mental toughts and then the snappiness. Oh would I take it again just to serve overseas. No defo not its the most horrible drug out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Yeah it's pretty bad. I know a few lads who have dramatically changed after taking it.

I'm mostly fine. The odd bad dream, slight paranoia and of course short term memory is not as good as it was.

• Advertisement

Federal officials issue strong new warning about anti-malaria drug

LOS ANGELES — Federal drug officials have issued a strong new warning about a controversial anti-malaria medication once routinely given to U.S. troops, some of whom say it damaged them permanently.

Link

are there any support groups (ie set up my ONE , Etc).
    Please note this is not for me I just feel that this info should be out in the public !

David

Advertisement