Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacktie event - Navy suit??

Options
  • 23-07-2013 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a blacktie event on fri. Its a company awards dinner followed by a session!! Its in Brighton(I live in London) however I don't have a black suit as they are back home in Ireland. I do however have a dark navy three piece suit. Do you think I would get away with it?

I have looked into hiring a suit however while it is cheap everyone requires a deposit of a min £200 and I also only own brown shoes so I would have to get shoes too adding to the cost. Its the week before payday so the finances are a bit stretched as it is.

Any advice??

frAg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

frag420 wrote: »
    I have a blacktie event on fri. Its a company awards dinner followed by a session!! Its in Brighton(I live in London) however I don't have a black suit as they are back home in Ireland. I do however have a dark navy three piece suit. Do you think I would get away with it?
    No. If I saw someone at a black tie affair, wearing an improvised 'navy tuxedo', I'd call security and tell them a homeless guy was crashing the party.

If you're suggesting just wearing a dark three-piece with a normal tie (semi-formal), you could get away with it, but you'll also stick out like a sore thumb as the guy who can't afford to even rent.
    I have looked into hiring a suit however while it is cheap everyone requires a deposit of a min £200 and I also only own brown shoes so I would have to get shoes too adding to the cost. Its the week before payday so the finances are a bit stretched as it is.
    You're going to have to deal with the footwear situation anyway, or were you planning on wearing your 'navy tuxedo' with brown shoes?

If semi-formal, brown shoes can actually work with a navy suit, but this is a style that is more acceptable on the continent, so I don't know what reception you'll get in the UK.
    Any advice??
    Use a credit card. Or borrow from someone. At the end of the day, you've said it's not that expensive and is just a cash flow issue, due to the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

My first thought was that you were posting about wearing a military dress uniform! :) (Too early, need coffee...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

My advise is:

1) Buy a decent pair of black shoes.
    2) Rent the suit.

Borrow the money if you have to or if your place of employment does cash advances explain to them your situation.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As the others said, navy suit at a black tie event = no.

This site is useful if you're unsure: http://www.blacktieguide.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If it's a company event they might be prepared to foot the bill for the tux rental?

I've had work cover it in a similar situation. If you don't currently have evening wear, M&S do a basic black-tie get up for pretty reasonable money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Yup. Black tie event means a tuxedo. Not a black or navy suit. Shoes are often thrown in at some rental places but even a cheap pair of Penny's or Dunnes will do the job fine. Never heard of any place looking for a deposit that big to rent a tux. Maybe credit card imprint would suffice if you have one. Either way you will need a tux especially as its a work do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You could try but you'd stand out a bit (not that there's anything wrong with being an individual - Brighton's full of us).

I did attend some formal do's in a Japanese male school uniform (looks like a naval jacket) which went down well enough but not entirely sure about wearing one to a black tie event.

Best of luck!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

veetwin wrote: »
    Yup. Black tie event means a tuxedo. Not a black or navy suit. Shoes are often thrown in at some rental places but even a cheap pair of Penny's or Dunnes will do the job fine. Never heard of any place looking for a deposit that big to rent a tux. Maybe credit card imprint would suffice if you have one. Either way you will need a tux especially as its a work do.
    One alternative to the tux is a silk velvet jacket like this (it's a bit more multi-purpose than a tux):

tumblr_inline_mi2jorNrx51qz4rgp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hey folks,

Cheers for the replies. Kinda got sorted. Got measured and bought a cheapo suit(dinner jacket and pants), shoes etc, looks pretty sharpe!! all good until I went to collect them today to find they never ordered the suit from warehouse!!

They reckon they can have it express delivered to my hotel by five tomorrow!! I fookin hope so or it will be a bright orange suit like in Dumb n Dumber!!

Such a ball ache!!

Advertisement