Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the season that Connacht will break the 40 points mark?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 11:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭

Since the 2009-2010 season where Connacht finished in last place with 26 points in 18 games, they have steadily improved finishing with 38 points in 22 games last season.

They haven't broken 40 points in a season since the 2003-2004 season, will the 2013-2014 season finally be the season they manage it?

Yes or No? 19 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

of course

pre season is always the time for optimism

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

There is no reason to say they wont, a good squad improving every year, with competition for places on the team and squad throughout, a new coach to freshen up ideas I only see good things.

Im going as far as saying 4 wins in the H cup this year as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

There is no reason to say they wont, a good squad improving every year, with competition for places on the team and squad throughout, a new coach to freshen up ideas I only see good things.

Im going as far as saying 4 wins in the H cup this year as well

4 wins! You reckon they're going to beat both Sarries and Toulouse at home?!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A lot of it depends on Lam I suppose. He has the tools there to really push Connacht to the next level if he's up to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You'd have to be optimistic really, wouldn't you? Some decent signings coupled with fresh ideas from Lam will be a good mix.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im expecting good things from Connacht this year. They have had a core of young players who are now coming into their prime...

Im just wary as to how Lam will have them playing... will there be 'penny-munster'esque experimentation before he figures out their strengths?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

4 wins! You reckon they're going to beat both Sarries and Toulouse at home?!

We should have had 4 wins last year so I think why not, the optimist in me can see it happening,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

They should be unaffected with Ireland call ups, not sure why 40 points has any significance though, I cant see them finishing better than 8th anyway, think Treviso and Glasgow in particular have established themselves as strong sides and finishing above 3 Welsh regions is a tough ask. I think a realistic aim for Connacht is being competitive in most away games(which I think they were for the most part last season) and win their home interpro's. The fact that Connacht will take the HEC very seriously stands against them in the league.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think there's a lot in favour of Lam hitting the ground running. He's been appointed for 6 months now, arrived for the last couple of games of last season and I believe has spent a lot of time working on ball skills.

Zebre first up are ideal candidates to blitz if the stars align so that could be 5 points in the bag on week 1.

I reckon there will be a bit of chopping and changing with the backs for the first while, not least because McSharry and Tonetti aren't due to start until November or so.

Advertisement