Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar shower?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi, Someone with experience/knowledge might help me out here,

Just hit me the other day when the kids were in the paddling pool, they are using alot of electric/water showering every day after every paddle.

I have 80' 1.5" black hydrodare and 80' of 2", I also have a tin workshop roof 30' long.
    Do you think the sun would heat this amount of water if the pipes were clipped to the roof and filled from a hose?
    Not looking for piping hot, just warm enough for kids to wash grass off and have a quick clean up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

It should do, not entirely sure if the pipe would be enough, but it's worth a try.

A friend did this with some old radiators he painted matt black and it worked much better than we expected, the water got warm enough to need to mix cold water with it for showering in mid summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Wow! I would be happy with warm..
    80' of 1.5" pipe will hold about 27 litres. and 50 in the 2" plenty for 2 or 3 quick showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Be very careful, its possible that the water in the black hydrodare pipe could get hot enough to burn.

I remember about 2 years ago I had a roll of it connected to a gravity fed system. I turned on the tap on a sunny day and was shocked that the water came out of the pipe as hot as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

Not wanting to put a dent in your DIY creativity but why not get some thing like one of these;
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-solar-shower-784086
    They are cheap enough and can be taken to the beach to wash off the sand before they get in the car too.
    Just suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why do they need a shower after paddling? People are going crazy having multiple showers a day during the heatwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why do they need a shower after paddling? People are going crazy having multiple showers a day during the heatwave.

Im guessing the same reason i give my 2 a shower after playing in the pool all day, they have been running around the garden getting wet and dirty....

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Sam Kade wrote: »

paddling with kids involves giong mental round the garden, rolling round the lawn, grass in pool, dog involved too, so picture kids covered in sweat, grass and dog hair..a shower is necessary..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Macumazan

spynappels wrote: »
    It should do, not entirely sure if the pipe would be enough, but it's worth a try.

A friend did this with some old radiators he painted matt black and it worked much better than we expected, the water got warm enough to need to mix cold water with it for showering in mid summer.

Sounds very exciting, I really want to know how it wouldwork as I want showers post collapse!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wildquill

I presently use a solar shower and have used simple black plastic pipe to heat shower water in the past. Both work if you're willing to be flexible in your demands. Both require good timing and fair sunshine.

An ideal option is to go to a junk dealer or such and run the black pipes heated water into an old geyser/hot-water cylinder (not connected to electricity), then by gravity run it to your shower-head. The cylinder will be insulated and offer you more flexibility in choosing when you want to use it.

That was good advice re-double checking the temp before you use it, it can rival an electrically heated device when conditions allow.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Wildquill

Advertisement