Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Burner wont turn off

Options
  • 22-07-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi There, I have a Riello RDB2 oil burner which for the last week or so runs more or less continuously no matter if I turn off the program timer or not, the only way to get it to stop is unplug it but if left plugged in it fires up again leading to a build up of pressure and hot water. I dont use underfloor heating or rads during the summer but still need the burner for hot water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Try your timeclock. If its running constantly its being called for heat constantly.

Also open easy motorised valve and see if its a smooth action or abit rough. If its abit rough it could be shagged and can be calling for heat constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rolled1

My Timeclock is digital and controls underfloor heating, rads and hot water all seperately, I have the heating off completely and hot water running on daily timer, the timeclock or programmer appears to be off but is there a way of telling if it's faulty? A motorised valve for the hot water was replaced a few days ago as the last one was too stiff to open and had to be operated manually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

rolled1 wrote: »
    My Timeclock is digital and controls underfloor heating, rads and hot water all seperately, I have the heating off completely and hot water running on daily timer, the timeclock or programmer appears to be off but is there a way of telling if it's faulty? A motorised valve for the hot water was replaced a few days ago as the last one was too stiff to open and had to be operated manually

Mv faulty or wired wrong. Clock turns on mv's not boiler directly. MV's have second set of wires and a small internal switch that then sends power to boiler when the valve opens.MV source of problem I would say. As this is sending power to boiler when clock is still off.
    Or one of the other mv's is faulty.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Mv faulty or wired wrong. Clock turns on mv's not boiler directly. MV's have second set of wires and a small internal switch that then sends power to boiler when the valve opens.MV source of problem I would say. As this is sending power to boiler when clock is still off.
    Or one of the other mv's is faulty.

Thanks I'll have a look at that although the boiler problem was present before the faulty motorised valve was changed

rolled1 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll have a look at that although the boiler problem was present before the faulty motorised valve was changed

Disconnect the power wire that comes FROM all MV TO BOILER grey or orange and test. Faulty valve will be the one that is still sending power out. Even when clock is off. One side will always have power and then the valve when working right sends power down the opposite wire to BOILER. Grey or orange wires only that will show fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Disconnect the power wire that comes FROM all MV TO BOILER grey or orange and test. Faulty valve will be the one that is still sending power out. Even when clock is off. One side will always have power and then the valve when working right sends power down the opposite wire to BOILER. Grey or orange wires only that will show fault.

Just make sure to safely isolate the electrics first. Grey will be permanently live!

shane0007 wrote: »
    Just make sure to safely isolate the electrics first. Grey will be permanently live!

Not always!!!!!!!
    Normaly one ore the other!

Not always!!!!!!!
    Normaly one ore the other!

You'd argue with your own shadow!

The earth could be live too if wired incorrectly but I didn't mention that as if it is wired correctly the grey should be the permanent live feed to the valve.

My point was to isolate the electrics for safety. Test competently. If you can't then somebody who is competent should be called in.

Ok an update on the problem, had a qualified spark in this morning, tested the 2 MV's one to rads and one for hot water, both fine, he tested my timeclock, a Horstmann H37 3 channel timer and apparently one of the channels isn't working so have ordered a new one and waiting delivery to see if it solves the problem.

shane0007 wrote: »
    You'd argue with your own shadow!

I'm not "corkplumber"
    And please go and argue with somebody else pz. Shane cause Im always correct.

• Advertisement

I'm not "corkplumber"

You could be! He has many alias's.

Advertisement