Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Training Schemes (Psychiatry)

Options
  • 22-07-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I'm just looking into my options for entering basic training in psychiatry a year or two down the line. I was able to find information on competition ratios in the UK fairly easily, but having no such luck on the College of Psychiatry of Ireland website, or elsewhere. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

More generally, is the procedure for applying to a UK training scheme any more complicated for non-UK-educated doctors? I've heard from a few people that psychiatry in Ireland at the moment is relatively less competitive than other specialties to get into, would anyone know if the same rings true in the UK?

Lastly, I've been offered an intercalated M.Sc in college (I'm between fourth and final year). This would involve several months of a research project/thesis, many of which are neuro/psychiatry-based. How much of a boon to the CV might this be, in terms of getting onto a good scheme (I'm thinking London at the moment)? From talking to a couple of doctors over the past few days opinions seem to vary. Some say it's a great idea seeing as I'm pretty set on going into psych, others said that I might be better off holding off a couple of years and doing an MD/PhD instead. Doing it would also be awkward financially etc, for the time being. I have a couple of weeks to accept or reject the offer and I keep changing my mind.

Sorry for the career agony aunt thread. Hopefully someone might have a pearl or two of wisdom to share. Thanks!

Advertisement