Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private tax on a van

Options
  • 22-07-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just a quick question. I bought a van there last week, have commercial insurance set up, just got the log book today. Tried to tax it online but it says I need to go into the tax office so I'm just wondering if someone can tell me please which form do I need to fill out to tax it privately? I have no clue.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Why would ya. Commercial is usually cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Why would ya. Commercial is usually cheaper

Because I'm not using it for a business. It's for my own SD&P use and to transport my musical equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Why do you have an commercial insurance then?

CiniO wrote: »
    Why do you have an commercial insurance then?

Since I will be carrying musical equipment it is classed as commercial because I have the potential to earn money from gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Tax it as commercial - you're carrying your stuff to gigs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Tax it as commercial - you're carrying your stuff to gigs...

his point being it's for "my own SD&P use"...commercially taxed vehicles should only be used for commercial purposes....he's trying to do the right thing.

corktina wrote: »
    his point being it's for "my own SD&P use"...commercially taxed vehicles should only be used for commercial purposes....he's trying to do the right thing.

Exactly. I'll just ring the tax office and hope I get an answer.

corktina wrote: »

Any source for that?
    There is law stating that vehicle can be taxed as goods vehicle (commercial) if it's being used for carrying goods for business use.
    There's nothing said that it must be the sole use of the vehicle.

• Advertisement

Those motortax offices that expect such declaration, IMHO have no grounds for doing so.

This is description of vehicles, which can be taxed as commercial.
    5. Vehicles (including tricycles weighing more than 500 kilograms unladen) constructed or adapted for use and used for the conveyance of goods or burden of any other description in the course of trade or business (including agriculture and the performance by a local or public authority of its functions) and vehicles constructed or adapted for use and used for the conveyance of a machine, workshop, contrivance or implement by or in which goods being conveyed by such vehicles are processed or manufactured while the vehicles are in motion:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0009/print.html

Where can you see anything mentioned that above usage (f.e. for conveyance of goods in the course of trade or business) must be the sole use, and vehicle can't be used for other purposes (f.e. private)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

eire1 wrote: »
    Hey all, just a quick question. I bought a van there last week, have commercial insurance set up, just got the log book today. Tried to tax it online but it says I need to go into the tax office so I'm just wondering if someone can tell me please which form do I need to fill out to tax it privately? I have no clue.

Thanks

You cant tax commerical on-line, I wouldnt bother taxing it privately if you are using it for bring equipment around.

Don't you need a VAT number to tax it commercially?

Won't they want the DOE cert or can you just give the number off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

well I was never able to tax my van on-line always had to go to the office, and you have to give them the doe cert so they can give you the certificate of road worthiness, I know this isnt everytime but whenever the doe is expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭allinthehead

when i taxed my van for the first time in cork they made me go to the garda station and sign a form that the vehicle was being used for business use and wanted company registration. no mention of vat number.

☀️

I emailed the tax office. The reply I got was: fill in form rf111, section 4. Bring the doe cert and vehicle registration too and they'll issue a tax disk.

• Advertisement

Indeed, cheers Fred Swanson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

If a van is taxed privately based on CC's, is the tax the same price as car tax?

Mo60 wrote: »
    If a van is taxed privately based on CC's, is the tax the same price as car tax?

Yes.

So therefore a small van could work out cheaper being taxed privately as against commercial?

Commercial tax is €333 a year.

If using the older (pre2008) system of cc's, the rate for 1101cc to 1200cc is €330. So anything larger than a 1.2, and you'd be losing money.

I might be wrong on this but i reckon the smallest engine in a van would be fiat's 1.3 multijet diesel??? Think vw/skoda do a 1.2 TDi too.

If van first registered after 2008, and using the CO2 emissions basis of assessment, Citroen's 1.6 HDi for example is €280 a year.
    The 1.9 dci in my Renault Trafic would cost me €390/year.

All of these figures from a quick google search of emissions by engine.

Pre-2008 so, yeah?

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Commercial tax is €333 a year.

If van first registered after 2008, and using the CO2 emissions basis of assessment, Citroen's 1.6 HDi for example is €280 a year.

This is indeed the van my OH has just bought. So, if he taxed it privately it would be cheaper and he would have less problems with regard to use.

Many thanks for the information.

• Advertisement

Advertisement