Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First day nerves!

Options
  • 22-07-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi guys

sooo after 3 years of study and practise and practise, and a bit of practise, on Friday I shoot my first wedding not as an assistant, but as the main photographer....... having nightmares about corrupt cards and breaking down equipment already...!

I will be glad to get the first one over and done with!

Has anyone any first day tips they could give me? Gaaah!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Biggest tip I can give anyone - relax. Have faith in your work.

Yeah, anything can fail - camera, memory cards, flash, lens, etc. But, how often do you hear of these failing? Not that often.

If you can produce consistent images, then go with what you know. Just take your photos and do your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Have you shot as an assistant before at a wedding so know what to expect? I hope so with all that practice, practice and more practice.

If not you'll be left outpaced at the whole thing. The ceremony doesn't wait for you to be ready for the shot you want. You have to anticipate whats going on, when its going on and get in place to get the shot you have in mind...if not, its gone, over, finished, done and you've missed it...forever. It's the make or break of wedding photography.

I'm not trying to scare you. It's the way it is. Wedding photographers get paid to know whats going on and be able to capture it and deliver good images. If you know someone else who isa reasonable photographer....bring them along too to shoot as your assistant/2nd shooter but don't rely on them to get anything. Assume they've F'd everything up and work from there.

Have you checked the weather forecast for the day? Checked out the location of the church, how the lighting is in there when it's sunny/overcast? where you might take photos after the ceremony, photos of family before and after the ceremony? Whats expected of you....pre wedding shots of bride and groom....can you do both or need an assistant to cover the other bridal party?

Is you're camera/lens kit up to the job. Is you're assistants up to the job? Do you have a back up body if needs be? do you have enough memory cards? Are you going to the reception or expected to?

Thats ONLY what I can think of, from the top of my head...

Add onto that your idea/concept of how you imagine the wedding images to look, which can be hard until the day. If you haven't assisted or shot a wedding before then you've got a daunting task ahead of you.

Are you getting paid or is it a favour? If you're getting paid then they will expect good results. If its a favour as a friend, it can jeopardise friendships if they aren't happy with the results. They are all things to consider.

Studying photography for 3 years doesn't make you a good photographer by any means so don't be fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Thanks guys :)

Paul, you're right, I'm sure there'll be moments of panic but will need to not get stressed and remember I know what to do!

Thanks Pete for all that. To answer your questions, yes I have been to weddings with professional photographers as both observers and assistants so I have a good understanding of what is ahead of me. My first wedding was a big shock to the system, there's no way I would be doing this one going in blind.

I have a 7d as my backup, enough cards batteries etc... I'm more asking for practical tips rather than technical ones if you know what I mean.

Or maybe I'm just asking how do I get rid of these nerves!

The bride is a friend of my sister who I never met up until they asked me to do this, so although I am getting paid it is 'mates rates' as they say. They know they are my first clients so that helps with the pressure a bit. We did an engagement shoot last month to get used to eachother so hopefully that will help both sides feel more comfortable!

I wish it was Saturday already!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Write out a shot list with the couple. Take all the shots on the shot list. Then shoot for yourself.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement