Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 Mazda 3 1.6 petrol - Reliable?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience with this car? Do they give much trouble? Are they hard on petrol? This one looks reasonable value on donedeal

Thanks for any advice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

hernie wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with this car? Do they give much trouble? Are they hard on petrol? This one looks reasonable value on donedeal

Thanks for any advice.
    The hatchback versions are used in Mondello racing school daily, and driven within an inch of their lives by hundreds of different people. Pretty much the worst conditions you can subject a car to short of deliberately abusing it.
    They stand up to that, so I'd say we can safely assume they're a reliable engine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

They'll still be driving Mazdas after the world ends. Have two myself and *touch wood* not a bother with either of them. My Da has one and has no bother with his either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

They are ya. Everything is fairly average on them. Mpg, power, handling etc but there a decent car

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Everything is fairly average on them. Mpg, power, handling etc
    Not on mine. :pac:

No Pants wrote: »
    Not on mine. :pac:

What have you done different

• Advertisement

What have you done different
    It's the MPS variant of the Mazda 3.

No Pants wrote: »
    It's the MPS variant of the Mazda 3.

Slightly different kettle to the bogga 1.4/1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

Thanks guys. Sounds like a good reliable car although the road tax is a little high. Reliability is my main priority and price seems reasonable on the one I linked above.

I used to have a 98 Almera 1.4 petrol and it never gave an ounce of trouble but I've been told the newer 1.5 petrols are not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

They are ya. Everything is fairly average on them. Mpg, power, handling etc but there a decent car
    Handling is better than average. On par with the Focus, which makes both of those above average for the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

A friend of mine has had one for the past 50k miles. The only thing that went wrong with it was a throttle body gasket worth a tenner. Rock solid car with Focus suspension which only makes it better to drive. A much better option to Corolla and the likes.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement

How would the Mazda 3 compare to a similar vintage Civic or Corolla? Would you recommend them over the 3?

Did not drive the Civic so cannot comment on that. Mazda 3 is a better looking car than Corolla though and drives better as well. I would say Corolla would be the most conservative with Mazda 3 in between of the three you mentioned.

Is €4,800 a good deal for a 07 Mazda 3 Sport 1.6 petrol with 98,500 miles on the clock? Tis NCT'd until 2015 as well. I was looking at the NCT cert and emissions are good but looks like it will need a rear shock for the next test. But I've been told these are not too expensive.

4.8k seems reasonable for the car but you should still haggle and maybe you will get it at 500 less. Shocks are typically 80-90 euros (source: micksgarage.ie) plus labour. Make sure the car was run with regular oil changes as people tend to ignore the fact that no oil will last longer than 15k kilometers and as long as there is a stain of oil on the dip stick think it is enough for the engine longevity.

Advertisement