Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve to Full Time Garda?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

So now that the Garda Reserve (GR) force is operational for several years and there is a recent announcement to recruit full time Garda trainees. Has anyone any opinions on allowing exemptions for Garda reserves to apply to the full time force i.e for e.g upper age limit exemption et cetera? for e.g GR's with attested 2 years experience being allowed to apply up to age of 49 (just an example).

Any opinions out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Posted by 3FullBack

3fullback

"At the end of the day frontline policing is for the youth !"

DustyMan wrote: »
    Posted by 3FullBack

3fullback

"At the end of the day frontline policing is for the youth !"

Think I'd rather 'talk down' a situation, from life experience, rather than wrestle with them around the street! PSNI, upper age limit 49, most police forces have no upper age limit. PSNI certainly dealing with more violent, riot like situations than AGS. I'd know a good few people in there 40's who would be a lot fitter/stronger that 20 year old's I know. it's just an opinion. I guess if the 35 year age limit will stay in place, but I do feel it out-rules many who could bring a lot to AGS, including Garda reservists experience of dealing with the public, from a 'policing' point of view..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

DustyMan wrote: »
    So now that the Garda Reserve (GR) force is operational for several years and there is a recent announcement to recruit full time Garda trainees. Has anyone any opinions on allowing exemptions for Garda reserves to apply to the full time force i.e for e.g upper age limit exemption et cetera? for e.g GR's with attested 2 years experience being allowed to apply up to age of 49 (just an example).

Any opinions out there?

I think anyone going for the gardai should have two years woth of expierence as a attested reserve garda for recruitment here on in. (Take note I would not qualify for this as ive only 1 years attested service done). However beyond that I that I think the selection process should be exactly the same. Not every Reserve is suitable and the reserve force is a good way to screen those who are suitable to those who should never have been given a uniform int he first place.

Oh maybe the age limit could be like 50 or something like the uk forces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

The important thing for any reserve to remember is that your station will be submitting a confidential report on you and you progress to date. If this is a negative report due to lack of attendance, failure to perform your duty to a high standard, etc, etc then the door closes pretty much straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    I think anyone going for the gardai should have two years woth of expierence as a attested reserve garda for recruitment here on in. (Take note I would not qualify for this as ive only 1 years attested service done). However beyond that I that I think the selection process should be exactly the same. Not every Reserve is suitable and the reserve force is a good way to screen those who are suitable to those who should never have been given a uniform int he first place.

Oh maybe the age limit could be like 50 or something like the uk forces :)

I'd disagree with this. Not everyone is in the situation where they can join the reserves, no matter how much they want to.

Myself, due to my current job I wouldn't be able to. The same with plenty others. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to apply for, and hopefully join, the Gardaí

• Advertisement

It just won't come across well to an interview panel if you can't manage to do a minimum of 4hrs a week for the reserve. Ideally anyone applying should already be doing some sort of voluntary community work and showing that they are willing to give sometime back. I understand with work it can be difficult.

blueforce wrote: »
    It just won't come across well to an interview panel if you can't manage to do a minimum of 4hrs a week for the reserve. Ideally anyone applying should already be doing some sort of voluntary community work and showing that they are willing to give sometime back. I understand with work it can be difficult.

It may not be down to time though. Certain jobs are barred from joining the reserve. PSA licence holders being one.

Thats a good point Mr Simpson. I suppose it'll be the first question they ask in the interview and that will then steer the interview in a certain direction. With the Reserves they will want exact details of incidents that you have been at and what you did. With non-reserves it will be more broad but you might need 4/5 different examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

The important thing for any reserve to remember is that your station will be submitting a confidential report on you and you progress to date. If this is a negative report due to lack of attendance, failure to perform your duty to a high standard, etc, etc then the door closes pretty much straight away.

That's baloney !

Absolutely a pre-requisite. They would have to. Being a Garda Reserve (GR) shouldn't mean absolute entitlement to get into full-time, especially if one didn't have good reports back regarding their service. Having said that I do believe that a GR with for e.g 2 years of attested experience, which has been at least of good to very good standard, should get an exemption on age limit, if they can pass all other standards too, i.e medical, et cetera. In my opinion.

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    I'd disagree with this. Not everyone is in the situation where they can join the reserves, no matter how much they want to.

Myself, due to my current job I wouldn't be able to. The same with plenty others. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to apply for, and hopefully join, the Gardaí

True, and I'd believe at interview this would be taken into consideration and wouldn't go against an otherwise capable applicant (i.e that they weren't a Garda Reserve).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Does anyone have any official figures that shows me how many GR have become full time members?

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

carzony wrote: »
    Does anyone have any official figures that shows me how many GR have become full time members?

There are about 45 former reserve members who are now full timers and this is only in the DMR. Considering the numbers in the Reserve were in around the hundreds when the last recruitment drive took place it was a good transition benchmark. Now we have over 1200 reserves and 85% of those are within the recruitment criteria so combine this with over 2 to 3 years front line policing experience and you have some pretty well qualified candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Raider190 wrote: »
    There are about 45 former reserve members who are now full timers and this is only in the DMR. Considering the numbers in the Reserve were in around the hundreds when the last recruitment drive took place it was a good transition benchmark. Now we have over 1200 reserves and 85% of those are within the recruitment criteria so combine this with over 2 to 3 years front line policing experience and you have some pretty well qualified candidates

Thats a fair number alright.. lot of experience there!!

Are you a reserve yourself?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Thats a fair number alright.. lot of experience there!!

Are you a reserve yourself?

Have been a GR for four years and it was the best thing I ever did. Totally enjoy it, work with a great unit an have a brill sgt and cig

Have been a GR for four years and it was the best thing I ever did. Totally enjoy it, work with a great unit an have a brill sgt and cig

Glad to hear fair play,

Do you work often? Learn loads?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Glad to hear fair play,

Do you work often? Learn loads?

I would contribute about a 1000 hours a year so the opportunity to learn is fantastic. Am very lucky with the unit , sgt and cig I work with. They are a great bunch of people and have a wealth of experience on which you can draw. Hopefully when the additional powers are finally sanctioned it will give a lot of GR's the opportunity to submit a return of work and broaden their skill and experience base.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

I would contribute about a 1000 hours a year so the opportunity to learn is fantastic. Am very lucky with the unit , sgt and cig I work with. They are a great bunch of people and have a wealth of experience on which you can draw. Hopefully when the additional powers are finally sanctioned it will give a lot of GR's the opportunity to submit a return of work and broaden their skill and experience base.

How on earth can you do a 1000 hours a year that's 2 ten hour shifts a week ?

Great to hear! You are in a super position so!

You d recommend it so? I m at stage 2 at the mo..waiting for backgr checks.

I am looking forward to getting involved tho

There many members who contribute the same amount of hours and more to the reserve, the level of commitment is fantastic no matter how many hours a Reserve can do it all helps and consistency is the key, going in on a regular basis helps to integrate with your unit which is essential to become part of the team and. Gain more experience, this will allow your Sgt to ununderstand your strengths and weaknesses and allocate you to duties which allow you to gain more experience and contribute

• Advertisement

Spoke to my work, they're happy for me to apply, and they'll give me 5 extra days leave a year if I get it. Dropped the application into Abbey Street this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ANGOTH

I just want to say that I think that there should not be an age limit for recruitment for the Garda Siochana. I am 47yrs. old and when I was younger, more than anything I wanted to be a Garda, but this was during the 80's so there wasn't much recruitment for the Gardaí at this time. I joined the Army and served 9yrs. during which time I completed 2 tours of duty in Lebanon and also, I served on security duties in Portlaoise Prison. I am presently a member of the Garda Reserve for 2yrs. and I think that my age should not affect me should I wish to join the full-time Gardaí. However, I do think that as an individual, you should have to prove yourself Physically and Mentally that you are a suitable candidate for An Garda Siochana and that your age should not come into the equation. In my lifetime, having worked in a lot of Security Positions, I have gained a lot of experience in dealing with people and situations and I think this life experience should count for something.

ANGOTH wrote: »
    I just want to say that I think that there should not be an age limit for recruitment for the Garda Siochana. I am 47yrs. old and when I was younger, more than anything I wanted to be a Garda, but this was during the 80's so there wasn't much recruitment for the Gardaí at this time. I joined the Army and served 9yrs. during which time I completed 2 tours of duty in Lebanon and also, I served on security duties in Portlaoise Prison. I am presently a member of the Garda Reserve for 2yrs. and I think that my age should not affect me should I wish to join the full-time Gardaí. However, I do think that as an individual, you should have to prove yourself Physically and Mentally that you are a suitable candidate for An Garda Siochana and that your age should not come into the equation. In my lifetime, having worked in a lot of Security Positions, I have gained a lot of experience in dealing with people and situations and I think this life experience should count for something.
    Totally agree with you but it is unlikely that this will change without a case been brought to the high court and who can afford that. The Met and PSNI have a max age of 50 to 55 years. It is the only Public Service which discrimnates with regard to age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LGQ

1000 hours a year is fantastic. Fair play to u, been a reserve myself for the last 4 years and try get a 8-10 hour shift in a week along with some community work like coaching a local underage rugby team.
    Would like to think having the reserves under the belt should give a candidate a fantastic advantage come the interview stage if we can get there so here's hoping..

LGQ wrote: »
    1000 hours a year is fantastic. Fair play to u, been a reserve myself for the last 4 years and try get a 8-10 hour shift in a week along with some community work like coaching a local underage rugby team.
    Would like to think having the reserves under the belt should give a candidate a fantastic advantage come the interview stage if we can get there so here's hoping..
    For a lot of GR's it is very difficult balancing home life , job and then trying to get your GR's hours in as well and some do struggle to get the 208 hours per year. The public events like Avia , Croke Park etc are a perfect opportunity to boost your hours and improve your skill base in dealing with the public. Speaking from my experience the more consistant you are with your hours (10 hours per week , 20 hours per week etc ) the more you will fit into your unit. This enables your Sgt to allocate you to a variety of duties and it gives you the opportunity to gather more experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

3fullback wrote: »

It is very doable! I do on average one 10hr shift a week and could easily do a second but would mean id have to take days off work

For a lot of GRs the minimum of 208 hours per year is not the target it is the lower threshold. For those that can do more the benefits of getting more experience is achieved. The more hours you do the better you fit into your unit and the more you are entrusted to do. Coming in once a month will not work you have got to be committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

For a lot of GRs the minimum of 208 hours per year is not the target it is the lower threshold. For those that can do more the benefits of getting more experience is achieved. The more hours you do the better you fit into your unit and the more you are entrusted to do. Coming in once a month will not work you have got to be committed.

Agreed! The benefits of coming in weekly is huge, getting to know the members on your unit and being entrusted with extra duties to name a few.

Totally agree with you but it is unlikely that this will change without a case been brought to the high court and who can afford that. The Met and PSNI have a max age of 50 to 55 years. It is the only Public Service which discrimnates with regard to age.

Sorry I was wrong its actually 56 years of age which is the maximum. PSNI is now formally recruiting check out their website

• Advertisement

Séamus Healy (Tipperary South, Independent) | Oireachtas source
    101. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if he will put a procedure in place whereby reserve members of an Garda Síochána who are fully attested and have their two year probationary period completed, may proceed to become permanent members of an Garda Síochána by way of internal recruitment in view of their training, loyalty, service, dedication and commitment; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [43802/13]

Photo of Alan ShatterAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) | Oireachtas source
    Recruitment to An Garda Síochána is governed by statutory regulations. The current Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) (Amendment) Regulation 2006, expressly allows the Public Appointments Service to take into account any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána, when they are applying to join the full time force. These regulations are currently being consolidated and revised and the same provisions for Reserve members will be incorporated into the new regulations.

Wonder what regulations are been consolidated and revised ????

Advertisement