Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Insurance in Ireland

Options
  • 22-07-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi,

I am looking to insure a motorbike I brought back from my home country.
    Is there anyone who has an advise on motorcycle insurance company here in Ireland?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

aon
    adelaide
    carole nash
    liberty, formerly quinn
    and one more, whose name eludes me at the moment...

/edit 'MCE', was the one I'd forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BrusselsSprout

Thanks,

Any advise on one that would offer best coverage / service?

I will start reading up on their website as well

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I remember when there was only 2 providers. Nice how things have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thanks,

Any advise on one that would offer best coverage / service?

I will start reading up on their website as well

Cheers!

I can't fault Adelaide, seem to have the best prices around. Although as with all insurance companies, you won't know how good their service is till you make a claim

not very much in them, imo. Will typically come down to a) who will quote b) what the magic eight ball/random number generator calculates your premium at..

• Advertisement

Just FYI for other readers out there.
    I called Carole Nash, they refused me as they will not insure anyone who has not been living for at least 3 years in the State!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just FYI for other readers out there.
    I called Carole Nash, they refused me as they will not insure anyone who has not been living for at least 3 years in the State!

That's crazy, surely there has to be some EU law making that illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Is there any particular insurance company that are particularly good for first time riders???

Or is it just a case of ringing around and trying your best to haggle with them all?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

jvan wrote: »
    That's crazy, surely there has to be some EU law making that illegal.

Quick solicitors letter will sort that....

unfamiliarity with the roads - kinda sucks, but its not really discrimination, as its applied regardless of nationality

• Advertisement

Looking at other insurers. I have seen that some offer a discount upon "rider training assessment". See : http://www.mrtg.ie/aon_assessment.htm

Has anyone ever did that? Any feedback?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I remember when there was only 2 providers. Nice how things have improved.

...LOL, I remember when there was only 1..........Norwich Union Rider Policy anyone... ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wossack wrote: »
    unfamiliarity with the roads - kinda sucks, but its not really discrimination, as its applied regardless of nationality

..I don't know how you can say that. It is blatant discrimination.

Think the UK roads are that different - which includes N.I. btw, do you ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

sorry, when I say its not discrimination, I mean its not one of the 8 or 9 ones deemed to be illegal to discriminate via (think insurance companies are even allowed violate the age one)

course its discrimination, but thats how it works - insurance premiums and risk are calculated upon prejudice and discrimination

RE the road difference - its more to do with LHD vs RHD, with some specifically including about UK/NI. For example, Liberty ask:
    "How many years have you been driving in the UK or the Republic of Ireland?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

jvan wrote: »
    I can't fault Adelaide, seem to have the best prices around. Although as with all insurance companies, you won't know how good their service is till you make a claim

Can't fault them, came through for me when the **** hit the proverbial fan, claim was done & dusted within 10 working days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,996 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wossack wrote: »
    RE the road difference - its more to do with LHD vs RHD, with some specifically including about UK/NI. For example, Liberty ask:
    "How many years have you been driving in the UK or the Republic of Ireland?"

No such thing on a bike :)
    if you can't adapt between riding on one side of the road or the other, you're not competent. There is no transition period when you ride off a ferry.

On a car, you might find yourself reaching for the window winder instead of the gear knob!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭BKtje

It's really not difficult to switch. I learned to drive on the continent and two months after passing my test I came to Ireland and drove on the other side of the road. Literally took me two circuits of the estate to get used to it.

A car of course, a bike should take even less timer ;)

ninja900 wrote: »
    No such thing on a bike :)
    if you can't adapt between riding on one side of the road or the other, you're not competent. There is no transition period when you ride off a ferry.

On a car, you might find yourself reaching for the window winder instead of the gear knob!

tell it to the actuaries!

dont think its as straight forward as true/false, competent/incompetent.. some folks are more competent then others - its how they work out the risk/premium. Reckon there are stats backing up their enquiry (else why ask?)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

hi,

I am looking to insure a motorbike I brought back from my home country.
    Is there anyone who has an advise on motorcycle insurance company here in Ireland?

Thanks.

With Carole Nash myself but got a really cheap quote recently from MCE but it was for a basic policy which didn't cover me outside Eire & had no breakdown service. But they might be worth a look :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,996 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Legally, they have to cover you third party throughout the EU for 30 days in a year for no extra charge.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement