Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW I3 To Cost 35K Euro's

Options
  • 22-07-2013 11:21am

-5k Government grant =30K,

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113072260442/bmw-i3-officially-priced-in-germany-from-34950-eur

Great contender to the Diesel 1 Series or a Golf but would be super fun with all the torque from 0 rpm. :D

0-100 kph in 8 seconds, not bad.

This car will have some serious options such as fully auto park assist meaning it will control steering and accelerator and breaking.

The ability to drive fully automatic in town and city.

Range is supposed to be around 100 miles, it's around 300 kg lighter than the Leaf.

It will also have the option of a range extender.

bmw-i3-s-batteries-come-from-samsung-can-be-recharged-in-30-minutes-62890-7.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

2014-BMW-i3-battery-edited.jpg

040313bmw-d.jpg

bmw-i3-iphone-app-3.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very cool, but 100 miles is still a real limiting factor.

Very cool, but 100 miles is still a real limiting factor.

You have the option of a range extender if you feel 20 mins or so on a fast charger is too inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭adocholiday

It's a very unattractive car. Surprised at the poor styling from BMW.

It's a very unattractive car. Surprised at the poor styling from BMW.

Inside or out, or in general ?

The final design will be unveiled next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Basing my opinion from those pictures on the site, even if that is only a concept, they probably won't deviate too much from it. I mean the exterior, the few pics of the interior that are there look pretty good in fairness though.

• Advertisement

BMW_i3.jpg

This is probably as close to the final production version and not bad imo, better than a Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

This is probably as close to the final production version and not bad imo, better than a Leaf.

While not a looker in its own right, its another ballpark from the eyesore that is the Leaf. It does look like an Audi A2 (from 13years ago) crossed with an Audi A1.. it doesnt look like a BMW at all. Which is possibly intentional.

Also, I want to know exactly which motor and tech they are using as the spec is fantastic:
    The pure-electric i3 has a rear-mounted 50 kg (110 lbs) electric motor producing 170 HP (125 kW) and 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) of torque.

Light and very powerful.. if batteries werent so $hit we could have 2 of them in a lightweight 3 series for independently controlled RWD near 300bhp action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Is it known if there is come active cooling / heating of battery pack?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Optional range extender :D

c0606075_birchwood_e85221.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Saw one in BMW Welt in April:

Doors are see-through on concept car:

20130416_110455-L.jpg

20130416_110446-L.jpg

20130416_110418-L.jpg

20130416_110359-L.jpg

Chassis is structurally-bonded:

20130416_110404-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

First BMW in years that I am really looking forward to seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Defenetly looks better then Leaf. 100miles is not bad. It would be more then enough for me.

Still RWD by the way. I can already see tuned versions of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Defenetly looks better then Leaf. 100miles is not bad. It would be more then enough for me.

Still RWD by the way. I can already see tuned versions of it! :D
    +1

as a runabout for getting the shopping or bringing kids to the creche or the short run to the train/ bus station its more than adequate for probably 95% of drivers.

Yes, salesmen who drive 100s of km a day wont find it useful, but if folks would actually stand back and look at how many short journeys they make, then especially as a second car the I3 makes sense.
    Throw in the 1cylinder backup generator and even cross country journeys are possible whenever they need to be made .

September1 wrote: »

Yes the battery has thermal management.

Though winter use will still consume some range due to the heater which no one knows yet if its heat pump or not.

Matt Simis wrote: »

Light and very powerful.. if batteries werent so $hit we could have 2 of them in a lightweight 3 series for independently controlled RWD near 300bhp action.

Sure you can have a bigger battery battery but at a higher cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

September1 wrote: »
    knowing bmw they'd probably omit it and then allow you to have an option of one or other as an extra for thousands of euro!

[QUOTE=ShadowHearth;

Still RWD by the way. I can already see tuned versions of it! :D[/QUOTE]

Electric motors can take huge amounts of peak power, though the tuning potential would depend on how much overhead is left in the inverter, wiring and indeed how many c you can pull from the battery itself.

First thing is knowing the limits of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

-5k Government grant =30K,

Your pricing is incorrect. It will be €38,160 here without SEAI grant. Still a lower than expected price.

http://www.rev.ie/bmw-i3-pricing-announced/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'd love to see one of these when they are released. I would seriously consider an electric car if I could afford one. If BMW (or any one else) are watching this thread and want to sponsor a person for this car for a year and blog about it etc I would be more than willing ;)

I'd do 40km a day mixed driving at least and longer drives on the weekends. Would be great marketing.

I'd love to see one of these when they are released. I would seriously consider an electric car if I could afford one. If BMW (or any one else) are watching this thread and want to sponsor a person for this car for a year and blog about it etc I would be more than willing ;)

I'd do 40km a day mixed driving at least and longer drives on the weekends. Would be great marketing.

You can get a Leaf for 14,500 Euro's from the U.K now.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307177867037/sort/default/usedcars/model/leaf/make/nissan/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/bs324nf/radius/1500?logcode=p

If you can make it on one charge in winter roughly 60 odd miles then it's ideal, if you can plug in at a public charger, i.e Luas or work allows you to charge then you're sorted that will allow you 120 odd miles in winter or 140+ in Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Nice try, but I'm sure BMW have better ways of spending 35k than giving your black ass a free I3 :)

If I had the cash I'd certainly be buying the I3 as it's naturally the more advanced e.v you'll be able to buy, and the MK II Leaf might be even more advanced again than the I3.

There is no news on the battery warranty yet apart from the usual 8 years 100,000 miles, what they don't say is what that actually covers.

No one knows yet about fast charging and if it will harm the battery long term, the Chevy spark allows multiple daily fast charging.

The question is if the I3 is worth nearly twice the money if a 2nd hand Leaf meets your needs and plunging in for a QC on the occasional long journey is too difficult ?

Or if Zoe can make use of the 22 kw public chargers which there are far far more, meaning under an hour for a charge from all non fast chargers then is the I3 worth the extra ?

Maybe it is if it gets 20-30 more miles in winter driving, or an extra 20 miles in Summer.

Nice try, but I'm sure BMW have better ways of spending 35k than giving your black ass a free I3 :)

30K :D

That's cheaper than a lesser spec Golf 2.0L TDI ! :D

And electric driving is a lot of fun. :D

The question is if the I3 is worth nearly twice the money if a 2nd hand Leaf meets your needs and plunging in for a QC on the occasional long journey is too difficult ?

Classic boards, comparing new car and second hand prices as if they're the same thing.

Classic boards, comparing new car and second hand prices as if they're the same thing.

It's a valid question, is it worth twice the amount of the Leaf if you want an e.v if the leaf meets your needs ?

It's a valid question, is it worth twice the amount of the Leaf if you want an e.v if the leaf meets your needs ?

compare new car prices with other new car prices; compare 5 year old car prices with other 5yo car prices, otherwise:

29-gtfo-bitch-im-doing-science.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Don't know why it's never occurred to me, but I've never accounted for the engine tech in the cars depreciation. Sure you're incurring the cost of aging, the battery losing cycles but I've never considered the actual engine. ICE cars have pretty much plateaued in terms of development but electric cars are developing at much faster rate, it's slightly akin to selling on a laptop.. What gen processor has it got? I wonder what the residuals are like in the UK so far? The BMW does strike me as a much more attractive option than the Nissan. The range extender if priced correctly could be the trump card. Carbon fibre paneling worries me. Ding that and you're wallet will know about it.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Your pricing is incorrect. It will be €38,160 here without SEAI grant. Still a lower than expected price.

http://www.rev.ie/bmw-i3-pricing-announced/

I was going on the German price, mad that its 3 k more expensive here, but not unsurprisingly.

And I wonder is that including the out the door price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Given that BMW still don't know how to make a reliable engine after 97 years of trying good luck to anyone taking a punt on their first electric effort. Still look forward to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I was going on the German price, mad that its 3 k more expensive here, but not unsurprisingly.

And I wonder is that including the out the door price ?

Nope delivery will be another 850e on top of this.

Advertisement