Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Now

• 21-07-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Ok its Monday 22/07/13 3.33am, Because its bloody roasting your windows are opened, you hear a scream from the pavement below your window you jump from your bed to see what is happening, as you peer from your side window you see your neighbor husband desperately trying to fend off three attacker that have some how broke into his downstairs apartment and pulled his wife into the street where she now lie's cover in her own blood as she lie's there motionless you run down to the door to help first grabbing your child's hurl,

Once opening the door you see the three attacker have overpowered your neighbor and are ripping flesh from his body, you stand their shocked until one of the attackers raise's up his head to reveal a face that is covered in cuts and the blood from your neighbor's, your attention is bought to his mouth and chin as you can clearly see his exposed jaw line gum's and bottom teeth, he slowly raise's from the ground and move's towards you at a good speed and just as you slam the door you hear a pound on the other side knowing the door wont hold for long you run to your apartment just at the door is your six year old son you bring him in reassure him all is find and then you try to contact your wife who was working nights at the local retirement home NO ANSWER, you run to the window to look out and see that their is now five attacker at your building doors you know two as your neighbor's and you can see many others on the streets.

What NOW it wont be long before the building is swamped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Tell son to run to his room and get his runners on and then go to the back bedroom.
    You run to kitchen throw a few tines of what ever into your shopping bag
    Grad the coats off the coat rack,
    Put on your own runners. Lower your son down to the ground with a bed sheet rope made for the sheets for the bed
    hang out your window and drop to the ground.
    Run like bejasus.
    Try to fine a quite place to hold up untill it gets bright in about an hour. It will be easier to see who is a Z and who is not when its bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Tell son to run to his room and get his runners on and then go to the back bedroom.
    You run to kitchen throw a few tines of what ever into your shopping bag
    Grad the coats off the coat rack,
    Put on your own runners. Lower your son down to the ground with a bed sheet rope made for the sheets for the bed
    hang out your window and drop to the ground.

Run like bejasus.
    Try to fine a quite place to hold up untill it gets bright in about an hour. It will be easier to see who is a Z and who is not when its bright.

Would that be wise letting your son go first when the streets and lane's are now crawling with Zombies, What about your wife? I suppose it would be easier to go get her in the morning as your son is number 1 on your list to protect.

Thats why you go out the back and not the front.(Hope the zs are not out there if they are your toast anyway. Hate to say it but if they you might have a chance on getting way when they are snacking on your son :eek:)

You cant go down 1st then he wont follow. I you put him on your back, when you drop you will probable land on him!

Wife is in a retirement home, as long as she doesnt get cornered she should be alright for a bit. The Zs should go after the old and slow first...

Yep son most important at the moment

Thats why you go out the back and not the front.(Hope the zs are not out there if they are your toast anyway. Hate to say it but if they you might have a chance on getting way when they are snacking on your son :eek:)

You cant go down 1st then he wont follow. I you put him on your back, when you drop you will probable land on him!

Wife is in a retirement home, as long as she doesnt get cornered she should be alright for a bit. The Zs should go after the old and slow first...

Yep son most important at the moment

lol old and slow lol,

I suppose the back fire escape on the outside of the building into the back lanes just keep low until you see a way of moving forwards, Their would be a lot of Dead and undead moving around too a lot of screaming sirens gun shot's.

And as many know from watching zombies movies stay away from the Military, If they don't shoot you they will throw you into one massive camp riddled with the infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I see no reason to move. If you stay quiet the zombies will lose interest or something else will come along and take their attention. Although theres something to be said for moving out of the town at night while there's few people around. But you should have a destination in mind, just running off into the night would be suicide.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I see no reason to move. If you stay quiet the zombies will lose interest or something else will come along and take their attention. Although theres something to be said for moving out of the town at night while there's few people around. But you should have a destination in mind, just running off into the night would be suicide.

I would sit it out till morning anyway try to secure the door best i could and have a fall back into the bedroom. Then first things first try to contact family and my partner on the way out of the city head to the Midlands area where the population is'n as high. Its only once i reached there hopefully with family that i would start gathering supplies and finding a defensive spot to bunker down maybe one of the many Castle littered around Roscrea and Birr area. Considering Roscrea has a population of maybe 6-7.000 people 3 large shops Dunne's Super-value and Tesco all 3-400 meters from the castle which has 30ft walls on all side's and only one way in, It has a ready made garden and a good vantage view over the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

With the scenario you describe, chances of survival are slim, very slim.

We can assume the complete neighbourhood is overran. I would barricade the door as best I could and then barricade all other doors into my apartment. I would hope I have enough food to last a few days. I would stay put for a while and this is the natural place for my wife to return. I would immediately stick on sky news and if power was out, fire up my battery powered radio to gather as much intel as possible.

I would pack a bag with clothes and a day or twos food. In case we need to bolt in a hurry. I would consider if I could reach my car, if I have one.

Overall, I would not be too hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

You have 5 z's at your door. These fcukers know you are there and they want your face. How long before their commotion at your door brings more z's your way.

I would give myself 5 minutes to pack enough relevant kit to get us to a safe place then bug the fcuk out. Try to make it to the old folks home but leave a note at home for the wife telling her to meet at an isolated area...if you miss her at the home and if she's alive.

The OP needs more details. Where exactly do I live, location wise and population of the area? What type of boy is my son? Do I have a car? What type of woman is my wife? Am I from the area, I.E do I have an intimate knowledge of the surrounding area? and would I be likely to know where to head to?

I'd fear my wife is a goner. Sick people would head to places where nurses are, hospitals would be busy so any where would do, inc nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

does the house have an attic with water storage?

• Advertisement

does the house have an attic with water storage?

That would be my first place to go. since the OP mentions apartments, it probably is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

might have a decent utility shed and water storage area on the roof though, next best thing

might have a decent utility shed and water storage area on the roof though, next best thing

Ok City is Cork, You have a car 1.2 Clio, Your boy is shy but trusting of his father you are 25, And deeply love your partner

Ok City is Cork, You have a car 1.2 Clio, Your boy is shy but trusting for his father

How hot is my missus?

How hot is my missus?

That depends beauty is in the eye of the beholder!.

My son would have to stay with me. I would ring my wife if the networks were still up. If the networks weren't up, we are in real trouble as the whole city is fecked.

Going for her is certain death for my and the son, probably still chance it.

My son would have to stay with me. I would ring my wife if the networks were still up. If the networks weren't up, we are in real trouble as the whole city is fecked.

Going for her is certain death for my and the son, probably still chance it.

You would kinda have to, easy to say now that you would not, but really deep down 99.9 percent would try and save family.

Yeep and a large percentage of family people will be killed trying to save them.

Yeep and a large percentage of family people will be killed trying to save them.

I imagin the kill toll in the first 72hr would be massive, Its another matter tho on how many stay dead and the.

Also a big factor is the speed of the Zombie, If their fast mite as well do myself in, But them bloody slow one's whittle you down slower mess with your head a lot more then the fast ones.

If you had 24 hours notice, you'd have some hope. If zeds banging on your door is the first you've heard of than you are in bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 seamie mac

Escaping blindly in the night, unprepared and without a plan will just make you zombie snack food and a very short episode in the story. Maybe you have already discussed an 'escape plan' with your wife (like my mate in Washington DC has done with his family - though not for a zombie scenario). As you are in Cork I'd be thinking about the coast and some of the islands ... however in the WWZ book the zombies could cross rivers, lakes and seas by walking on the seabed etc ... I guess first task is to survive the first night .. shore up defences and hunker down .. soon enough some other live neighbour will make a run and hopefully zombies will follow. Assemble basic survival pack and think about where to go. Ditch the hurl and find a long metal poker or, for reach, that metal crossbar thingy in the wardrobe .. Walking Dead 3 makes good use of long metal objects for brain-killing at a distance (via nearest zombie eye socket). If your son has a hurl then he may have shin guards - wear them, and if he has an older pair use them for your forearms and attach with good old duck tape. So hunker down, get your kit and weapon sorted, and only move in the day when visibility is best for you. Perhaps Spike Island is your destination??

With 5 Zomides banging on your front door. Dont think it will take long before they break it down. Even if you barricade it up. But how much can you barricade it up in a few mins on your own. (6 year old shy son wouldn't be much help, even if he want shy, dont think he would be much help)

Apartment wouldn't offer too much for you to be able to barricade the front door and at least one window at the front of the apartment.

Sure you could hope something would catch there attention and make them move on but could you really take that chance.

Getting into attic would be good if your place had one but this is an apartment so probable not going to have one. Only another apartment above you

Roof would be best to hold up on how to get there. Dont think apartments in Ireland let alone Cork has outside fire escape leading to the roof.

Your chances are very slim anyway, weather in the apartment waiting for them to leave or on the ground running for your life to find some where quite to wait for the daylight to come in. I would rather have a running chance Slim that it is.

You always have you shopping bag(one of the nylon ones, not the plastic ones) and of a few tines in it, to swing at the Zs if you can.

Hope I have not just killed my self and my son. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seamie mac

I see your point. You could take the Celtic Tiger era 72" plasma display from the wall to reinforce the door - its probably near enough the same size - there's not much on the telly at 3:30am anyhow unless you have Netflix ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

barricade doors as best you can, hunker down and wait for someone else to try making a run for it, you are hardly the only person in the apartment block so someone else will provide a distraction, during this tne you can try to contact your wife, gather supplies, and formulate an escape plan.

ultimately you have to move, but rushing blindly into the night will get you killed, before you start the clio you should know your destination and have at least 1 alternate.

shame you weren't at my house, grab shotgun, blast the fcukers, close the gates, contact the missus, hunker down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

for the sake of moving the thread / storyline along, can we assume that we are on the 3rd floor of a 6 floor building, and we successfully barricaded the door (the only entry point , apart from the windows the outside of the building) and we made it thru the night. There was lots of noise (fighting, shouting, breaking ..... and screams) during the night. You saw some people running away from the building and all were chased by the Z's. Some made it out of sight without being taken down, but a lot didnt.

But its dawn now, and its been quiet for an hour. What do you do now? Stay and stock up on supplies? Explore the building (get to higher point)? Make a break for it? Go where?

walking-the-halls-of-nursing-homes.jpg
    for the sake of moving the thread / storyline along, can we assume that we are on the 3rd floor of a 6 floor building, and we successfully barricaded the door (the only entry point , apart from the windows the outside of the building) and we made it thru the night. There was lots of noise (fighting, shouting, breaking ..... and screams) during the night. You saw some people running away from the building and all were chased by the Z's. Some made it out of sight without being taken down, but a lot didnt.

But its dawn now, and its been quiet for an hour. What do you do now? Stay and stock up on supplies? Explore the building (get to higher point)? Make a break for it? Go where?

Very good, Ok its time to leave the apartment head towards outskirts where your partner is working, Mobile are down along with land-lines and power, Internet is still available but no charge in your phone access's it. Your Clio has 34 miles left in the tank, And was slightly damaged in the drive to Mount Estate {Name of Place your other half is}, As you arrive you see the building smoking and bodies shatter around. What next do you enter hoping she secure herself in one of the rooms, Or do you run, How will you keep your son safe while searching the building?.

Update to story tonight after feed back

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you had 24 hours notice, you'd have some hope. If zeds banging on your door is the first you've heard of than you are in bother.
    If zeds banging on your door is the first you hear of it, you'd need to get out more. It'll take a few days for the numbers to reach a critical point.
    With 5 Zomides banging on your front door. Dont think it will take long before they break it down.
    I don't think so, modern doors are designed to be tough, Unless they are aiming for particular parts of the door it will take a lot of abuse. Even tens of zombies are going to have problems if they don't direct their attack to the lock and hinge points.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think so, modern doors are designed to be tough, Unless they are aiming for particular parts of the door it will take a lot of abuse. Even tens of zombies are going to have problems if they don't direct their attack to the lock and hinge points.

True but my door was one of them OLD flimsy doors My apartment block was an old one.

Note to self. Invest in a stronger imaginary door in my imaginary apartment block :D

walking-the-halls-of-nursing-homes.jpg

Very good, Ok its time to leave the apartment head towards outskirts where your partner is working, Mobile are down along with land-lines and power, Internet is still available but no charge in your phone access's it. Your Clio has 34 miles left in the tank, And was slightly damaged in the drive to Mount Estate {Name of Place your other half is}, As you arrive you see the building smoking and bodies shatter around. What next do you enter hoping she secure herself in one of the rooms, Or do you run, How will you keep your son safe while searching the building?.

Update to story tonight after feed back

There is a very slim chance your wife is still alive. With bodies lying around just waiting to re-animate you are asking to die or turn into one of them your self.

Stop and say a silent prayer for her and then keep moving. You need to get your self and your son to safety You only have maybe 20-30 miles left in your car Try and fine a place that is easily defendable, has a good view to spot, Zs or other survives, but is close enough to the outskirts of the city so you can go on savaging runs to get supplies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

have to agree, any attempt at a rescue is a suicide mission. better to split now when there is still hope of escape

Advertisement