Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Parking near Semple Stadium

Options
  • 21-07-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was thinking about going to the Kilkenny and Cork game next Sunday in Thurles. I was just looking for a bit of advice on where is the best place to park in Thurles on match day? I haven't been up there in years (The last time was when Waterford won the league against Kilkenny in 2007) and I forget the place.

Also, (while I'm here) which is the best place value wise to get a ticket for. The terraces (€20) or the stands (€30)? And where do you get the refund when your a student?

Who will win?
    The Cats or The Rebles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

deadybai wrote: »
    Hi. I was thinking about going to the Kilkenny and Cork game next Sunday in Thurles. I was just looking for a bit of advice on where is the best place to park in Thurles on match day? I haven't been up there in years (The last time was when Waterford won the league against Kilkenny in 2007) and I forget the place.

Also, (while I'm here) which is the best place value wise to get a ticket for. The terraces (€20) or the stands (€30)? And where do you get the refund when your a student?

Who will win?
    The Cats or The Rebles

My advice is come in via Holycross. There will surely be a field with parking close to the stadium.

There's usually a dedicated booth to get your student refund (only available on stand tickets).

Personally I'd go for the Killinan End terrace. At least then the sun will be at your back and not in your face if it's a hot day. The sun always seems to shine into the Town End in the Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

looder wrote: »
    My advice is come in via Holycross. There will surely be a field with parking close to the stadium.

There's usually a dedicated booth to get your student refund (only available on stand tickets).

Personally I'd go for the Killinan End terrace. At least then the sun will be at your back and not in your face if it's a hot day. The sun always seems to shine into the Town End in the Stadium.

yeah ok thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i would strongly advise agenst parking too close to the stadium as there are two games on that day and most of the clare/galway suporters will be parked around the north of the town near the stadium which can be a major problem afterwards.

the terrace is a good idea unless its raining.

as for the games them self i hope clare beat galway in the second match, the cats would get the nod for me over the Rebles in the first game, it would be strange to see them go the entire hurling calender without a crack at croke park.

i would strongly advise agenst parking too close to the stadium as there are two games on that day and most of the clare/galway suporters will be parked around the north of the town near the stadium which can be a major problem afterwards.

oh yeah i never really thought of that. thank god the match is on in the afternoon and not at 7 p.m like Kilkennys previous 3 games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Lions Club usually have a nice car park close to the train station coming from Holycross Road. €5 but you get quite close to ground and easy to get in and out. I used it for Q-F last 2 years Limerick were in it and was very handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

The best stand tickets are gone, you'll get one online but they have poor visibilty. Should be terrace tickets for sale on the day. There are student turnstiles in Semple (bring your ID)
    Who will win?
    The Cats or The Rebles
    The Cats, I am only going for the day out :-)

lukin wrote: »
    The best stand tickets are gone, you'll get one online but they have poor visibilty. Should be terrace tickets for sale on the day. There are student turnstiles in Semple (bring your ID)

The Cats, I am only going for the day out :-)

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to ask, how much are the student tickets for the stand? I'll probably go terrace anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to ask, how much are the student tickets for the stand? I'll probably go terrace anyways

Dunno how much a student ticket is for the stand; they are €30 for an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You normally get a tenner back for a student ticket, sometimes you get 15 back.

students have to pay the 30 euro fee when buying the ticket, you will get a 10 euro refund on your way into the ground via the student only turnstiles but i think you will need a student id card with you not sure.

seems like an awful lot of hard work though, the gaa could save themselves alot of hassle on the day by offering the discount when you buy the ticket the first day.

• Advertisement

are you better off going in the terraces? I'm a bit wary about going behind the goals because I was behind them at the All- Ireland a few years ago and could see very little

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

seems like an awful lot of hard work though, the gaa could save themselves alot of hassle on the day by offering the discount when you buy the ticket the first day.

Then everybody would get an OAP to purchase their ticket and the GAA would end up having to check everyone's ID going into the ground !
    The way they do it now, a lot of OAPs and students don't reclaim their discount because they don't know about it or don't go looking for the refund gate so probably does not work out too bad for them.

are you better off going in the terraces? I'm a bit wary about going behind the goals because I was behind them at the All- Ireland a few years ago and could see very little

i agree it can be very hard to get a good view of the bottom goals from the terrace and worse if its raining.

my advice would be to pre order your stand ticket online as soon as possible as there are not many left

here https://www.tickets.ie/event.aspx/gaa-hurling-all-ireland-1-4-finals-cork-v-kilkenny--galway-v-clare-semple-stadium-thurles-28-July-2013/39TZE

and check where your seat is

http://munster.gaa.ie/wp-content/themes/munster/uploads//Semple-Stadium.jpg

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Then everybody would get an OAP to purchase their ticket and the GAA would end up having to check everyone's ID going into the ground !
    The way they do it now, a lot of OAPs and students don't reclaim their discount because they don't know about it or don't go looking for the refund gate so probably does not work out too bad for them.

well anything would be better then the confusion it cause's at the moment espicaly once people get inside the turnstiles.

and the policy of having kids under 16 enter a seprate turnstile on there own away from there parents is crazy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Are most of the stand tickets gone? I've a friend coming who doesn't have a ticket. I have a stand ticket.

What do you reckon we should do? See if there's a ticket left for my stand and hope someone will swap their seat?

Advertisement