Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Surface RT reduced in price, any thoughts...?

Options
  • 21-07-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I've recently seen the MS Surface RT advertised as reduced in price (€329 for the 32GB model). I have to admit I don't know anything about them but my son has been thinking of replacing his netbook and I was wondering should he consider replacing it with something like one of these...?

He really only uses his netbook for the internet (E-mail, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube etc) downloading some music and some very basic MS Office type stuff for his college work.

Any thoughts or should he just go for another netbook or cheap laptop...?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,865 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If thats all he does the RT hits all those buttons.

Bear in mind though, its not a PC (just like almost every other tablet), meaning installing things like iTunes, Firefox, Bittorent, Steam, Java, etc. are a No Go. Meaning the RT is not a good Primary Device, unless you have some other PC around to use when you need it. Most online tests for instance require Java or the download of a specific third party web browser (eg. Respondus)

I've had my RT for nigh on 3 weeks now and I like it a lot. It does come with Office Home and Student 2013, and will get Outlook added in October as a free update along with the rest of the Windows 8.1 rollout. The 32GB model will have about 14-15GB of usable space, the 64GB will have 45GB usable (plus the 7GB of storage through SkyDrive online)

The RT fills almost the same role the Netbook did when it came out: its not a replacement, but a tagalong device when used with a full PC. I have a Desktop and Ultrabook and a Slate (similar to Surface Pro) that I can rely on for more demanding tasks, but none of those options can match the RT for portability/battery life, making it what I use for web browsing and killing time between classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks for that @overheal, he still has his netbook if he needs one for normal 'computer' type things, I might just have a look at one of tese things to see if it might suit his needs.

Anyone else any thoughts...?

Advertisement