Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back payment JSA

Options
  • 21-07-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Quick question...

I finished my final degree year on June 13th this year. I was putting off signing on in the hopes that something would come up. But after over a month, I've spent whatever little bit of savings I had and am now broke and signing on.

Since I didnt sign on originally in June, will I only be entitled to €X per week from when I signed on, or, since I've been out of work since June could I also be entitled to claim for as far back as then?

(Never signed on before, not sure how it works. Not trying to be greedy, but someone asked me this the other day and I didn't know the answer).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Unless there were very exceptional and provable circumstances which led to you not knowing that you were entitled to sign on or being unable to sign on, your payment will not be backdated. Also the first three days of your claim are unpaid.

You should apply for Jobseeker's Allowance the first day you become unemployed.

It is important to apply on the first day you become unemployed because you will not get paid for the first three days of your claim.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

If you have not received payment of JA yet, you are entitled to go to the Community Welfare Officer and make a claim for Supplementary Welfare Allowance to tide you over. Any SWA payments will be deducted when your JA comes through. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/supplementary_welfare_allow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I did not sign on for 4 months after becoming unemployed last year. I had some savings ans wasn't aware that you're supposed to sign on immediately. But it was backpaid in its entiriety, they just double-checked that I'd been living off savings. There's a space in the form to give your reason for not signing on straight away. So I don't think it's true to say it won't be backdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Quick question...

I finished my final degree year on June 13th this year. I was putting off signing on in the hopes that something would come up. But after over a month, I've spent whatever little bit of savings I had and am now broke and signing on.

Since I didnt sign on originally in June, will I only be entitled to €X per week from when I signed on, or, since I've been out of work since June could I also be entitled to claim for as far back as then?

(Never signed on before, not sure how it works. Not trying to be greedy, but someone asked me this the other day and I didn't know the answer).

Have you signed up for JSA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

signing on at the moment. Filling out forms. Appointments every week. means tests... All the fun stuff :S

Advertisement