Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self Build Interiors Images Black UPVc Window Finish

Options
  • 21-07-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone, new to this so looking forward to getting some helpful info and advice from you guys.

Just about to start our self build new home, and while himself is occupied with the mechanics of the project, im concerned with the overall look of the place! We have pretty much decided on black upv doors/windows but im wondering if i can pick your brains about the finished look for those of you who got black windows.

[if anyone has any pictures they can send id be really interested to see how the black interior framing works with your choice of carpentry for doors, skirting, floors etc.
    At the moment im thinking black frames in and out, walnut doors and floors, kitchen probably cream with similar toned granite worktop, and neutral based floor tiles. any thoughts/photos for examples?
    Any advice from experience is greatly appreciated. and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Hi Bookworm2

We went with black upvc windows and doors and are very pleased with the result. We chose white skirtings and cream kitchen. I think the pale interior colours and dark strong framed windows work well together.. also looks very well from outside. Im also very keen on the upvc cream windows that seem to be getting popular now... very nice finish inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bookworm2

Thanks a million for those photos. Your house looks lovely. You really have helped a lot! Can i ask did you go for white internal doors or other choice? Im liking the cream as well..... Im favouring the black as yet but stay tuned! Decisions decisions!

No problem bookworm2! We went for engineered oak doors.. they actually look very well with the white skirting and architrive framing them.. although white would have looked well also.... enjoy the build! One word of advice make sure the windows are protected in plastic when the house is being plastered.. splashes show up very badly on the black finish and a real pain to get off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 New Solicitor

Hi bombadil

Building our house and starting to look at kitchens. Would love a cream kitchen but everyone telling me its very hard to keep and to go for oak etc. Seen your pics and it looks lovely. Can you put up a pic of the whole kitchen? We are going for black windows also. any tips would be appreciated

Hi Newsolicitor

Sorry for the delay in replying....

Hope the picture gives you a better idea. Regarding the kitchen being hard to keep.. dont listen to it! How hard can cupboards be to keep. We were told the same and have had no problems, even with a solid worktop which we were also cautioned against.

Now porcelain tiles are another story... we loved them so decided to go with them despite the work.. but be warned they are very very hard to keep. If a moth walks across them you can see the footprints! Bought a karcher steam cleaner though and all seems to be going better since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 New Solicitor

Thanks for that bombadil. Yes I lived in an apartment with porcelain tiles before and they were very hard to keep. We definitely will steer clear of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 soundgarden

Hi Bonbadil,

I am in the middle of self build & we also got Black upvc windows & now that things are starting to come along in side I have to start thinking about the kitchen & doors, floors, wall colours & so on. Did you get blinds for your windows & if so what type of blind did you get. also can I ask is your cooker a rangemaster & what model it, it look like the one I am interested in thanks

Advertisement