Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping an Oil Stove for Solid Fule - Big Job?

Options
  • 21-07-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone who has done similar or is in the plumbing trade could offer any advice on swapping out an existing oil stove for a new solid fuel stove.

The current oil stove which I never use, is a fine stove but only lit it probably twice myself in eight years and prob max it was run for was 30 minutes, it's serviced regularly every year when the oil central heating boiler is done so not worried about it from that point of view, just not certain on how it's plumbed etc.

As far as I can tell it's only plumbed to heat hot water, not rads. The oil burner for the radiators and all its plumbing pipes etc is located in a cupboard about two feet away from the stove. Would it be a big job to take out the oil stove and replace with a new solid stove which would heat the rads as well as the hot water while leaving the existing oil burner in place to heat the rads still if required on occasion?

Any knowledgeable advice appreciated.
    EDIT - Forgot to say I have no intention of attempting any soft of installation myself in any way, it will definitely be a job for a pro plumber, just trying to get an idea of what's likely to be involved, how difficult, how big a job, how long it might take etc.

Advertisement