Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Engine Trouble

Options
  • 21-07-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all, I have been having trouble recently with my 2008 diesel Mondeo. When I'm driving lately it sometimes seems to lose power and chug for a second when I'm going down through the gears. Yesterday I was going through the toll in Portlaoise and it cut out when still moving (3rd gear) and wouldnt start again for about 20 mins. The engine kicked when I turned the key as normal but just wouldnt start. I had been dribving for about an hour when this happened. Same thing happened on the way back later iin the evening. Any ideas what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnno1958

Hi PaidV, I have the same car as you. Had similar prob earlier this year. Did the Engine management light come on whe this happened.
    1. Mass Airflow sensor.
    2. Dirty/poor injectors or dirty fuel.
    3. Leak in a vacuum pipe or intake pipe.
    Just my tuppence worth. You may have to bring it to garage to get diagnostics done.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Thanks for your reply Johnno1958, no lights at all came on. Sounds like the injectors or dirty fuel could be the problem alright (at a guess). Did it cost you much to get your issue sorted out?
    Its strange the way it starts again after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnno1958

I had unknowingly been buying diesel from a garage that had a dubious reputation regarding their diesel quality. Bought my diesel elsewhere and added some Dipethane to help clear "muck".

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

I have been buying from Topaz mostly so I'd hope theirs would be clean enough. I suppose I better get a mechanic to have a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

First thing to do is change the fuel filter. These are very sensitive to any dirt in the fuel filter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement