Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Quarter Final Question

Options
  • 21-07-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Need a bit of help here lads. Yes I am counting my chickens and looking ahead but I need to look at possible scenarios for two weeks away.

If, and I am still saying if, Cavan make the All Ireland quarter finals we've a large family event planned for Saturday 3rd August. I'm wondering what the chances are of a clash?

As far as I remember, the Saturday match of the quarter finals is usually Dublin against someone because they bring a large crowd. That said, Cavan could draw Dublin.

Is Monday week the earliest we'll know the draw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Lemlin wrote: »
    Need a bit of help here lads. Yes I am counting my chickens and looking ahead but I need to look at possible scenarios for two weeks away.

If, and I am still saying if, Cavan make the All Ireland quarter finals we've a large family event planned for Saturday 3rd August. I'm wondering what the chances are of a clash?

As far as I remember, the Saturday match of the quarter finals is usually Dublin against someone because they bring a large crowd. That said, Cavan could draw Dublin.

It il be luck of the draw so 50/50 if Cavan make the quarters they'll be playing on Saturday. I know last year the Dubs played in the double header along with Mayo/Down game. So doubt they'll have Croker to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If the Dubs draw Cork or Tyrone they'll probably play on the Monday by themselves, with the second biggest day also having a stand alone fixture. Even with the way the attendances for Dubs games are going now I'd say there's a good chance they'll have a stand alone fixture regardless of who they draw, and if they do it'll probably be on the Monday.
    No way of knowing until the Wednesday after the draw I'd say. After the draw we'll only know who's playing who, we won't know what day and what time until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well Lemlin, you can either go to the family event, or get your priorities right and go to Croke Park. :) Who on Earth, with a family member interested in GAA, plans an event when it could clash with a match, even in Cavan?!! :)

A true story for you Lemlin. Last year, as I left Croke Park on the day Donegal made it to the semi-final a friend of mine, a Tyroneman living in Belfast, rang me. He wanted me to send him an e-mail inviting him to come to Dublin to see the semi-final and saying I could get him tickets, which indeed I could. Now his reasoning for this was that on the same day that the game was to be played there was a family event in Tyrone that he had been invited to and which he didn't particularly fancy going to. He told me roughly what he wanted in the e-mail. The plan was to innocently show the e-mail, that had completely come out of the blue from his good friend Flukey in Dublin that he had not seen in over a year, to his sister. I duly sent the e-mail and he came to Dublin. So, if you want to PM me your email address then I might just be able to help you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Flukey wrote: »
    Well Lemlin, you can either go to the family event, or get your priorities right and go to Croke Park. :) Who on Earth, with a family member interested in GAA, plans an event when it could clash with a match, even in Cavan?!! :)

A true story for you Lemlin. Last year, as I left Croke Park on the day Donegal made it to the semi-final a friend of mine, a Tyroneman living in Belfast, rang me. He wanted me to send him an e-mail inviting him to come to Dublin to see the semi-final and saying I could get him tickets, which indeed I could. Now his reasoning for this was that on the same day that the game was to be played there was a family event in Tyrone that he had been invited to and which he didn't particularly fancy going to. He told me roughly what he wanted in the e-mail. The plan was to innocently show the e-mail, that had completely come out of the blue from his good friend Flukey in Dublin that he had not seen in over a year, to his sister. I duly sent the e-mail and he came to Dublin. So, if you want to PM me your email address then I might just be able to help you. :)

The family event is my daughter's christening. Not sure I can skip it!

When we planned it a month ago, I wasn't expecting Cavan to still be in the championship. Should have had more faith.

We're looking at changing to the Sunday if needs be. I doubt the priest will even be available if Cavan are in Croker on Saturday!

The family event is my daughter's christening. Not sure I can skip it!

When we planned it a month ago, I wasn't expecting Cavan to still be in the championship. Should have had more faith.

We're looking at changing to the Sunday if needs be. I doubt the priest will even be available if Cavan are in Croker on Saturday!

Bar the match being switched from Celtic Park to Lourdes, I suppose many people weren't expecting yesterday's miracle a month ago. Now you have to decide which is the bigger religion for you. For many GAA fans the traditional Sunday was mass and a match, satisfying both religions. Here is a line you could use when making your case: Going to Croke Park is like a religion and it is the cathedral of sport, being named after a bishop after all. So you have to come up with a plan. Now we have seen people propose in Croke Park and they do have weddings there, so if you get on to the authorities in Croke Park I am sure you can get them to allow you have a Christening on the pitch at half time, or between matches. It wouldn't be out of pattern with the day. After all, if Cavan are playing Dublin, the Breffni men will be in for a Baptism of fire. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Sure the draw won't be made until after round 4 anyway.

Bar the match being switched from Celtic Park to Lourdes, I suppose many people weren't expecting yesterday's miracle a month ago. Now you have to decide which is the bigger religion for you. For many GAA fans the traditional Sunday was mass and a match, satisfying both religions. Here is a line you could use when making your case: Going to Croke Park is like a religion and it is the cathedral of sport, being named after a bishop after all. So you have to come up with a plan. Now we have seen people propose in Croke Park and they do have weddings there, so if you get on to the authorities in Croke Park I am sure you can get them to allow you have a Christening on the pitch at half time, or between matches. It wouldn't be out of pattern with the day. After all, if Cavan are playing Dublin, the Breffni men will be in for a Baptism of fire. :)

Our lads are growing in confidence with every match, I think we'd give anyone a competitive game.

Our lads are growing in confidence with every match, I think we'd give anyone a competitive game.

Even London?

Even London?

I'd expect us to beat London. The comment above was in relation to the provincial champions and I feel we'd give any of them a game.

After the run of London results this summer and the result in Clones today, any kind of shock could happen. So yes, Cavan could actually beat London.:) Anyway, the result in Clones does bring yet another twist and bit of interest to the quarter finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

THFC wrote: »
    If the Dubs draw Cork or Tyrone they'll probably play on the Monday by themselves, with the second biggest day also having a stand alone fixture. Even with the way the attendances for Dubs games are going now I'd say there's a good chance they'll have a stand alone fixture regardless of who they draw, and if they do it'll probably be on the Monday.
    No way of knowing until the Wednesday after the draw I'd say. After the draw we'll only know who's playing who, we won't know what day and what time until later.
    They cant play Tyrone on the Monday as its not a bank holiday up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Doubt it will be a stand alone game for the Dubs.
    The last 3-4 years we've had a double header played on a Saturday night.

Only chance of a stand alone is if we draw Cork or Donegal in the 1/4 final I think.
    Would get 50/60'000 alone for that so the GAA will be creaming themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Doubt it will be a stand alone game for the Dubs.
    The last 3-4 years we've had a double header played on a Saturday night.

Only chance of a stand alone is if we draw Cork or Donegal in the 1/4 final I think.
    Would get 50/60'000 alone for that so the GAA will be creaming themselves.
    Yeah, I'd say most likely it will be Dublin and Kerry quarter-finals on Saturday and the Monaghan/Mayo quarter-finals on the Sunday.

The only thing that might change that would be if Dublin drew Donegal (I don't think Dublin-Cork would justify a standalone - I'd say Dublin-Cavan would bring a bigger crowd than Dub-Cork).

The big problem of putting the Dublin match standalone, is that you therefore leave one of the others standalone, and I'm not sure if they'd leave any of the other QFs as a standalone in Croker. Potentially you could see the Monaghan quarter-final moved to Clones - but that would only happen if Monaghan agreed to it, and I'm not sure they would.

I believe they've brought the draw forward to Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah, I'd say most likely it will be Dublin and Kerry quarter-finals on Saturday and the Monaghan/Mayo quarter-finals on the Sunday.

The only thing that might change that would be if Dublin drew Donegal (I don't think Dublin-Cork would justify a standalone - I'd say Dublin-Cavan would bring a bigger crowd than Dub-Cork).

The big problem of putting the Dublin match standalone, is that you therefore leave one of the others standalone, and I'm not sure if they'd leave any of the other QFs as a standalone in Croker. Potentially you could see the Monaghan quarter-final moved to Clones - but that would only happen if Monaghan agreed to it, and I'm not sure they would.

I believe they've brought the draw forward to Saturday night.

Well Monagan QF will certainly be in Croke Park, no way will they concede a chance to play in CP for the sake of accommodating someone else

In previous years if their was a Dublin standalone fixture another football QF was lumped in with a hurling semi-final

It's a disadvantage to fans as they have to pay semi-final price for a quarter final game.

Last Dublin stand alone fixture for a 1/4 was the Kerry game in 2009 when they tonked us. I think the Meath/Mayo match was shifted to the 2nd weekend in August with the KK/Waterford Hurling semi.

Cannot see a Dublin stand alone game this year. The money just isint there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Well Monagan QF will certainly be in Croke Park, no way will they concede a chance to play in CP for the sake of accommodating someone else

In previous years if their was a Dublin standalone fixture another football QF was lumped in with a hurling semi-final

It's a disadvantage to fans as they have to pay semi-final price for a quarter final game.
    With Dublin and Cork being the first hurling semi, I think its less likely that a football QF will be moved to double bill with it.

Monaghan would be the only provincial champion who might agree to playing their QF outside Croke Park - as it would hand them home advantage if the game was moved to Clones - but as I said earlier I think it unlikely and we'll end up with Dublin and Kerry playing the quarters on Saturday and the other two on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

When are the actual draws for the quarter finals taking place? After the round four qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Next Saturday night, after the last qualifier game has been played.

Two double-headers would be best. I'd also prefer the afternoon to the evening game. Although the best atmosphere in 2011 was the Dublin v Tyrone quarter-final, I still prefer the afternoon. It is a long way home for travelling fans with a later arrival. It is also not ideal for bringing children. Parents might be slightly less inclined to bring them when there is a later finish. It is always good to have kids there. That is how we all started our love of GAA. Later finishes also leave less celebration/drowning sorrows time, though it could reduce the hangover of the next day. :)

Next weekend's triple header will be good. A bit like Lemlin and the quarter final, I will be unable to go next Saturday as I am out of the country next weekend at a family event. Although Dublin are not playing, I'd be there if I was around.

The draw after that will be interesting, though it would be better if they had some consistency in how they are doing it. They did two rounds in one last time. It would have been better to have had the fourth round draw separate. They are varying the timings too. The fourth round draw could have been last night or on Saturday or even this morning. They could just have easily had the quarter final draw next Monday morning, like last week, even if it is a shorter time than drawing it on Saturday. The teams are already preparing, even if they don't know their opposition yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Really?

Monaghan have played quite a few games in Croker in recent years....

Played Kerry twice there iirc.

Dont think its that huge a deal for them to be in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Last Dublin stand alone fixture for a 1/4 was the Kerry game in 2009 when they tonked us. I think the Meath/Mayo match was shifted to the 2nd weekend in August with the KK/Waterford Hurling semi.

Cannot see a Dublin stand alone game this year. The money just isint there anymore.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but was Dublin vs Tyrone in 2011 not the last stand alone fixture? Only 2 years ago.

If the Dubs draw Cork, Donegal or Tyrone I think it will be a stand alone fixture.
    Ideally for the GAA Dublin and Donegal will be kept apart, as they're the 2 best supported counties, and Dublin will draw either Cork or Tyrone. That would allow 2 stand alone fixtures involving Dublin and Donegal.
    That said, if Dublin drew Donegal I think it would nearly sell out, I think it almost sold out the last time they played in the championship?

Of course, all this depends on Donegal, Cork and Tyrone coming through the qualifiers.

Still, lots of permutations. Both championships this year are quite exciting, and both for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

THFC wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but was Dublin vs Tyrone in 2011 not the last stand alone fixture? Only 2 years ago.

If the Dubs draw Cork, Donegal or Tyrone I think it will be a stand alone fixture.
    Ideally for the GAA Dublin and Donegal will be kept apart, as they're the 2 best supported counties, and Dublin will draw either Cork or Tyrone. That would allow 2 stand alone fixtures involving Dublin and Donegal.
    That said, if Dublin drew Donegal I think it would nearly sell out, I think it almost sold out the last time they played in the championship?

Of course, all this depends on Donegal, Cork and Tyrone coming through the qualifiers.

Still, lots of permutations. Both championships this year are quite exciting, and both for different reasons.
    Dublin-Tyrone in 2011 was only a stand alone match because a draw between Armagh and Wicklow in the qualifiers knocked part of the qualifier draw back a week. Tyrone eventually emerged from that section.

All quarter-finals will be in Croke Park and they will almost certainly be two double headers on Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th of August. Even if it's Dublin v Cork or Donegal I expect it to be in a double-header.

Dublin's match is, I feel, more likely to be played on the Saturday, like it was last year.

Of course there's always the chance that a draw after extra-time in one of the qualifiers could result in one of the quarter-finals having to be put back a week.

With it being a bank holiday weekend, some fans that would like to go will be away and that will hit attendances a little. Two double-headers would be better. It makes for an entertaining day. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of us Dubs do come in for the earlier match of the day, so it would be great to get to see a double header. Any GAA fan should be interested in all of the games, not just the one their county is in. Added to that is the fact that they may be playing the winners of those other matches at some stage later in the campaign. It is good to know what you will be up against and get some entertainment. It is what you are paying for. The other game of the day is often better than the one your county is playing in, even if it has a higher billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Have the Christening in morning Quick photos food and pint Then gang of family head together You need to make it more of a The men will be back later on kind of occasion Straight back then after Cavan game If ye win will make it twice the occasion n ye will get most experience of both days Go, just goooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

You could always give the christening a miss, The 6 months that you will be in the doghouse with the wife would be more than worth it to see the boys in blue take the field for an All Ireland Quarter final provided we get there of course.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Really?

Monaghan have played quite a few games in Croker in recent years....

Played Kerry twice there iirc.

Dont think its that huge a deal for them to be in Croke Park.

They last played championship in Croke Park 5 years ago when they lost to Kerry in a qualifier in 2008, then lost to Kerry in a QF the year before also.

That's not exactly recent.
    Plus they have won Ulster for the first time in 25 years, one of the rewards for winning the provincials is your next game is in Croke Park (that's why the quarters have all been there since the second year of the back door), so they would hardly give that up just to facilitate Dublin.

Anyway it's a moot point as Dublin do not have the numbers at the moment to require a stand alone fixture

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The GAA website mentioned that the quarter finals will be on the Saturday and Monday of the bank holiday weekend BUT it now seems to have changed to the Saturday and Sunday unless the reporter in todays examiner is mistaken.
    Duffy, who also confirmed the All-Ireland quarter-finals will be double-headers played on Saturday, August 3, and Sunday, August 4, at 2pm and 4pm, was speaking at the official launch of the All-Ireland Football Championship in Glenswilly, the home club of Donegal’s All-Ireland winning captain, Michael Murphy.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/duffy-hails-provincial-structures-237786.html

The GAA website mentioned that the quarter finals will be on the Saturday and Monday of the bank holiday weekend BUT it now seems to have changed to the Saturday and Sunday unless the reporter in todays examiner is mistaken.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/duffy-hails-provincial-structures-237786.html

I think the only thing that is guaranteed is that there will be a 2pm and 4pm on Sunday
    After that it's anybody's guess, they have played a standalone Monday game before (Kerry v Dublin in 2009) and a Monday double header (Mayo v Cork, Dublin v Donegal 2002)
    And they have played 5pm and 7pm Saturday games in 2011 and 2012 so that may be one that they are thinking of continuing, a standalone Dublin game is unlikely.

As mentioned above, very unlikely of a Monday game.

Im thinking,

Saturday
    Monaghan v Round 4 winner 5pm
    Dublin v Round 4 winner 7pm

Sunday
    Mayo v Round 4 winner 2pm
    Kerry v Round 4 winner or visa versa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

As mentioned above, very unlikely of a Monday game.

Im thinking,

Saturday
    Monaghan v Round 4 winner 5pm
    Dublin v Round 4 winner 7pm

Sunday
    Mayo v Round 4 winner 2pm
    Kerry v Round 4 winner or visa versa

Looks about right - I thought I heard somewhere that Dublin are already pencilled in for the 7pm slot on Saturday night.

Advertisement