Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into leaving cert

Options
  • 21-07-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

hey guys,

I need to pick my subject choices and i want to do something in finance/business when i leave school

im doing all higher in Irish English Maths, French, Business and Accounting.

I want to do Ag Science because i enjoy it so much but business is on the same time :( Im stuck with Biology Instead

Is Biology hard? What are my other subjects like?

my school is pretty crap and teachers arent great should I consider travelling 10 miles away to a good school?

Id love to do ag science and/or economics on the side but is that to hard with all higher?

I know i need to choose and narrow it down but im just not able!

sorry dudes for being a freak!
    and thanks for posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Biology is a lovely subject if you enjoy it and work hard from the very start as it requires quite a lot of learning but I personally loved it and would study it no bother :)

I also do business which is a nice subject but a lot of learning aswell and the textbooks don't cover everything so some general knowledge and listening to the news etc helps :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't do Economics(I'd love to) but I'm pretty sure it's an easy subject to do on the side, mostly learning off concepts I think. But I'd wait to hear from someone who actually does it.

Biology tends to be mostly learning definitions, experiments, diagrams etc. Really interesting subject but it does take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Biology takes alot of people off guard. They expect more naming of body parts and what they get are genetics and DNA.

With business I suggest you end every chapter with a good knowledge of its contents cause the exam has a bit of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

I'd recommend against trying to study Ag science outside of school. The project is a major component and you would be at a disadvantage to students who can work with each other/teachers in class.

Biology is a subject with a long course. There is a lot of material to learn - more than chemistry or physics. Personally I found it to be the least interesting of the three, but by far the easiest to understand.

French is a great subject because everything on the paper is unseen. That means no frantic last minute cramming :cool: Having studied a foreign language may be a requirement to your preferred courses in finance/business.

I never did economics, but as far as I know, it should be a manageable enough subject to do outside of school.

Doing 7 higher level subjects is a big commitment. Remember that you can only count 6 for points. I'd recommend doing 6 higher unless you're going for a course with high points in which case having a 7th, 'spare' subject to fall back on would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I did economics by myself this year and it was ok. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was easy, but that's just my opinion. There is quite a bit of learning it. The choice on the exam is great though, you answer 6/9 SQ's and 4/8 LQ's. The LQ's are sometimes quite easy to predict, but the SQ's can go either way. This year I found the SQ's absolutely atrocious, the hardest I've ever seen to be honest.

Saying all this, I only had 1 year doing economics because I just started at the beginning of sixth year, and even then I didn't start doing any proper work in it until after Christmas. If you think you'll be ok with your other HL subjects, I'd say forget about it. I'd say just study more on your weaker HL subjects and you'll improve on those. After spending a lot of time on economics by myself the weeks before the LC, I think it'll be the HL subject that I'm not counting, which is a pity and just makes it seem pointless for me keeping on the subject by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

hey guys,

I need to pick my subject choices and i want to do something in finance/business when i leave school

im doing all higher in Irish English Maths, French, Business and Accounting.

I want to do Ag Science because i enjoy it so much but business is on the same time :( Im stuck with Biology Instead

Is Biology hard? What are my other subjects like?

my school is pretty crap and teachers arent great should I consider travelling 10 miles away to a good school?

Id love to do ag science and/or economics on the side but is that to hard with all higher?

I know i need to choose and narrow it down but im just not able!

sorry dudes for being a freak!
    and thanks for posting

Hi, i did Business and loved it , you need to be able to sit down and study theory for hours , it takes up a lot of your time but its easy enough if you can do that. Can you not do economics during school? and not have to do ag science or biology.. ?
    I took up economics in a year and really liked it! Its a short course,not a big workload and i enjoyed it too,not a lot overlaps with it and business but i understood concepts etc better because i had business too :)
    If not, i did biology too and really liked it , it is just huge!! so many chapters , a few are difficult but generally the rest should be easy enough and if you start to like the subject it will really help.Biology and business for me were a bit predictable too :) Just ask if you have any other question

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭STEEL COMET

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Hi, i did Business and loved it , you need to be able to sit down and study theory for hours , it takes up a lot of your time but its easy enough if you can do that. Can you not do economics during school? and not have to do ag science or biology.. ?
    I took up economics in a year and really liked it! Its a short course,not a big workload and i enjoyed it too,not a lot overlaps with it and business but i understood concepts etc better because i had business too :)
    If not, i did biology too and really liked it , it is just huge!! so many chapters , a few are difficult but generally the rest should be easy enough and if you start to like the subject it will really help.Biology and business for me were a bit predictable too :) Just ask if you have any other question

thanks guys for all your help! Keep the opinions coming! my school is useless no economics!

what subjects did you do 4 LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

thanks guys for all your help! Keep the opinions coming! my school is useless no economics!

what subjects did you do 4 LC?

ohh i see , then you could do economics outside school, i think its really manageable,
    well i repeated this year and did business,economics,french,biology,home ec and english, i really liked doing 6 subjects, i know many people want a seventh for a back up but i think you really only need 6 because the time you would spend on a seventh can be spent on your 6 subjects so that you don't need a back up , just my view though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Yea the only external subjects I can vindicate are the languages at ordinary level if you need one. Spend the time on your other subjects. Its tight enough without adding on to the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Try and keep up with biology and you should be absolutely fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement