Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my BBQ gas bottle freezing while being used

Options
  • 20-07-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Got a new bottle of gas for the BBQ today and after about 20 minutes use it started frosting up at the bottom this has never happened before with other bottles, turned off the BBQ as soon as i noticed it.

I checked regulator and hose and both are fine no cracks or signs of deterioration, should i just change these anyways as BBQ is about 5 years old. There was no smell of gas when it was being used

Is there anything else i should be checking? Is it safe to use?

Its propane gas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

etcetc wrote: »
    Got a new bottle of gas for the BBQ today and after about 20 minutes use it started frosting up at the bottom this has never happened before with other bottles, turned off the BBQ as soon as i noticed it.

I checked regulator and hose and both are fine no cracks or signs of deterioration, should i just change these anyways as BBQ is about 5 years old. There was no smell of gas when it was being used

Is there anything else i should be checking? Is it safe to use?

Sounds like the bottle is under-sized for the BBQ, take off is too large for bottle to handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    Sounds like the bottle is under-sized for the BBQ, take off is too large for bottle to handle.

Regulator problem?., or may have dirt or rust in it on wire mesh at part that attaches to cyl. was valve turned on fully or regulator changed from orignal ?
    Is it the same size tank and type of gas bbq requires ?
    Was cyl left out in sun before use as this can cause frost when in use. Contact shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Too much gas coming out. Bigger bottle. But if it doesn't affect flame id ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dathi

as you burn the gas the remaining gas in the bottle expands, as a gas expands it loses heat, this chills the metal in the bottle resulting in moisture in the air condensing into ice on the bottle. same principle as heat pumps and fridges work on . nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

dathi wrote: »
    as you burn the gas the remaining gas in the bottle expands, as a gas expands it loses heat, this chills the metal in the bottle resulting in moisture in the air condensing into ice on the bottle. same principle as heat pumps and fridges work on . nothing to worry about

This.

Pressure and temp are relative to one another. A drop in pressure (due to releasing gas from the bottle) results in a drop in temperature. The moisture in the air condenses on touching the cool surface of the bottle especially with the humidity levels we have currently.

Propane can also be used as a refrigerant so BBQ away, theres nothing wrong with the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Condenser wrote: »
    This.

Pressure and temp are relative to one another. A drop in pressure (due to releasing gas from the bottle) results in a drop in temperature. The moisture in the air condenses on touching the cool surface of the bottle especially with the humidity levels we have currently.

Propane can also be used as a refrigerant so BBQ away, theres nothing wrong with the bottle.

I agree but for gas safety reasons I would also be checking the relative take off of gas in relation to the heat input of the appliance.
    An under-sized bottle will also result in gas bottle freezing. At 85% maximum fill volume, not enough volume of gas is created from the liquid boiling, the take off being too large, results in too much energy being drawn, thus taking even more heat from the bottle & surrounding temperature, leads to bottle freezing.

This can result in low gas pressure at the appliance which can result in carbon monoxide (CO) production, sooting & intermittent ignition failure.

You would be surprised at the rated heat input of many appliances nowadays. Typical cooker hobs are circa 14kw and gas barbecues even higher.

Advertisement