Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Inns Independent College Manuals

Options
  • 20-07-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

I am undertaking the Kings Inns exams in August, and due to finishing up a Masters program in early July, I have limited preparation time and so I have copies of the Independent College manuals 2012 for each exam which I am relying upon.

I have two specific questions in this regard:

1. Although I would prefer to have more time to prepare independently from the KI syllabus, I don't, and so would anyone with experience know if the manuals are more or enough to pass the exams?

2. In regards to the Constitutional exam in particular, the manual does not appear to give the same strength to certain topics as the syllabus. For instance, in certain areas the cases outlined in the manual are not at all those which the KI syllabus recommends for review. Is anyone sitting (or has anyone sat) the KI Constitutional exam and did they have the same problem with the manuals?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Miza wrote: »
    Hello,

I am undertaking the Kings Inns exams in August, and due to finishing up a Masters program in early July, I have limited preparation time and so I have copies of the Independent College manuals 2012 for each exam which I am relying upon.

I have two specific questions in this regard:

1. Although I would prefer to have more time to prepare independently from the KI syllabus, I don't, and so would anyone with experience know if the manuals are more or enough to pass the exams?

2. In regards to the Constitutional exam in particular, the manual does not appear to give the same strength to certain topics as the syllabus. For instance, in certain areas the cases outlined in the manual are not at all those which the KI syllabus recommends for review. Is anyone sitting (or has anyone sat) the KI Constitutional exam and did they have the same problem with the manuals?

Many thanks,

I can answer both questions very simply. Know the manual cover to cover and that is all you need. You can pass comfortably with only the manuals.

In relation to the syllabus v the manual, if they are missing a case on the syllabus, make sure you know that case but otherwise I wouldnt get hung u on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Miza

Thanks for replying NoQuarter.

Would you happen to know if the manuals still enough to pass even though they are from last year's course?

Miza wrote: »
    Thanks for replying NoQuarter.

Would you happen to know if the manuals still enough to pass even though they are from last year's course?

They should be absolutely fine, just be aware of any new cases/legislation in each topic ie. abortion/right to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Anyone know where I could possibley get my hands of a copy of this years or last years manuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Miza

I actually got mine second hand on boards.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 COFlynn

Hi there,

Somewhat related. I have a friend that was accepted under Rule 24 to apply to Kings Inns but has to sit an aptitude test. Would the manuals be enough to see her through the exam?

C.

Not necessarily as the aptitude tests can cover topics outside the topics that are on the entrance exams. If the particular tests your friend has to pass are the same as the ones on the entrance exams, the manuals will be fine.

Also, look at the fe1 manuals if they are testing any other area, there may well be an fe1 manual on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 COFlynn

Thanks - I've sent emails to Kings Inss, Griffith College and Independent Colleges to see what they suggest. There are no stats on how many people avail of Rule 24 so its difficult to get an idea of what to expect.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rosekerry

I've been out of the law loop for a while but I am hoping to sit exams next year, is it possible to buy the manuals brand new or are they only available second hand? Thank you very much.

rosekerry wrote: »
    I've been out of the law loop for a while but I am hoping to sit exams next year, is it possible to buy the manuals brand new or are they only available second hand? Thank you very much.

You could call the colleges that run the prep courses and ask them; Griffith and Independent Colleges.

But realistically, the law is generally the same from year to year with perhaps one or two big changes over the 5 subjects in total per year. The rest are just slight developments so buying brand new ones, in my opinion, is unnecessary. I passed easily with 5 one-year-old ones, generally 60% + in each exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rosekerry

Thanks so much, yeah I think I'll just look out for second hand ones. I can't afford to do a prep course but from what I've read so far, the manuals and other uni notes should be enough material to pass. Cheers.

rosekerry wrote: »
    Thanks so much, yeah I think I'll just look out for second hand ones. I can't afford to do a prep course but from what I've read so far, the manuals and other uni notes should be enough material to pass. Cheers.

Be wary of your uni notes if they are old. The manuals themselves are by far enough. Just try get 2012 ones.

Advertisement