Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black boarder when playing some games.

Options
  • 20-07-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've sort of had this issue for a while. It's only with the steam sales that I've noticed that it's happening with more and more games. Basically there is a black boarder around the edge of my screen (about 3/4 of an inch) when I load up some games. I've had a look in the visual settings of the games but adjusting the resolution there seems to have no effect. It then goes away when I exit the programs back to my desktop.
    Any ideas how to fix the problem?
    I've downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card.
    My card is the AMD Radeon HD 7800 series.
    Thanks for the help,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

can you list the games?

What screen resolution are you playing at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Have a mess with your TV's settings. I think I managed to fix this by changing the input to PC or maybe changing the actual HDMI cable to another port. (can't recall exactly but it was the TV at fault.)

There's also some overscan/underscan sliders in the CCC but I don't think they helped for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Overheal wrote: »
    can you list the games?

What screen resolution are you playing at?

My screen resolution is 1366 x 768. I'm just using a cheap LED TV for the time being until I can buy a decent monitor.

So far I've noticed it on Company of Heroes, Bioshock and Euro Truck Simulator. I think it happened originally in TF2 but I used some command in game that I found online that seemed to solve the issue in that particular game.

Just loaded up saints row the third there and that does not have the issue. Any ideas what it could be?

I'm already using 0% overscan on CCC so there is no more room there. I believe I had the issue originally when I started up the computer and used the over scan to fix the desktop. However that setting doesn't seem to apply to some of the video games?

Thanks for the help guys. Anything else you need to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The overscan is set for one resolution, if you change res (a game might do this) then the overscan will be wrong, and you get borders.

What cable are you using? This happens with vga I have noticed, if you use DVI or hdmi the screen configures itself properly and there is no need for manual adjustment.

srsly78 wrote: »
    The overscan is set for one resolution, if you change res (a game might do this) then the overscan will be wrong, and you get borders.

What cable are you using? This happens with vga I have noticed, if you use DVI or hdmi the screen configures itself properly and there is no need for manual adjustment.

I'm using HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Have a mess with your TV's settings. I think I managed to fix this by changing the input to PC or maybe changing the actual HDMI cable to another port.

^^ Have you tried this? It sounds implausible but it worked for me.
    That's how I knew you were using a TV and not a monitor.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    ^^ Have you tried this? It sounds implausible but it worked for me.
    That's how I knew you were using a TV and not a monitor.

There's only one HDMI port on both the TV and the graphics card so I can't change them. The TV has no PC Hdmi channel. It has a PC/VGA channel but that obviously isn't what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Try changing your game resolution to 1280x800, or 1440x900.

Overheal wrote: »
    Try changing your game resolution to 1280x800, or 1440x900.

Makes no difference. Any other ideas? Just turned on To The Moon and it also has an issue with the black boarder. Really annoying now.

HOLY F**K! I did it!

I feel like a blind person being able to see for the first time. I read on another forum that disabling scaling altogether helped the issue for them. Just did it there and the problem is resolved. YAY!

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, I went into My Digital Flat Panels >> Properties (Digital Flat Panels) >> Un-ticked GPU Scaling. That sorted it out.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Happy now I can play games without issues.

EDIT : Looks like that only worked for To The Moon and Tropico 4. Any idea why is that?
    Issues still with Bioshock and Company of heroes.

"b) disable GPU scaling (method depends on the card drivers) but you'll have trouble after that with games that can only display a 4:3 image unless you have a setting on your monitor that allows to display those games in their native 4:3 aspect ratio."

-Read this from the windows forum. Does this have anything to do with why those other games still have the border?

• Advertisement
Advertisement