Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Cohiba Cigars been sitting in a box

Options
  • 19-07-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

I got three cohiba cigars as a gift about 6-8 months ago. They've been sitting in there presentation / gift box in a cupboard the entire time.

Here's a pic of the box, well two boxes, one open one closed. It has a very tight fit when the lid closes and when it opens the smell of the cigars is still nice and strong.
    http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/newShop/images/products/5630__big.jpg

I'm a little worried because I recently bought two cigars and I smoked one right away and it was pleasant and the other one I waited a few weeks before I smoked it and it was very harsh to smoke and not enjoyable at all.

So I think perhaps three cigars of this caliber should have been kept in a humidor. I'm pretty sure this gift box would have cost a good €70 probably more and I don't want to light one up to discover it's not very nice.

What would be your suggestion? Should I buy a humidor and put them in it for a for weeks before trying one?

I've been waiting for a special occasion and I have one coming up in three weeks so want to get this sorted by then.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Yeah, they're probably pretty dry right now, that's way to long to leave then out of a humidor.
    I'm not sure you can reactivate them, but worth a shot.
    You dont need a humidor just get a Humidity -pack for the box.
    Is there any room in the box? If not get a tupperwear box and a Humidity pack from Fox's or somewhere like that
    and put them in that till humidity gets over 68% (over whatever is suggested for those) and hope for the best.
    http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=category&man=529&cat=91
    These regulate pretty good imo.

I dont think it's worth buying a humidor for 3 cigars.

That's a nice gift btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Sticky icky

It's been out of humidity for a while but in fairness if you are in Ireland even in this weather it's going to be around 55%-60% which is good for storing cigars for long periods of time but temp is also important.

I keep mine around 20degrees c but I have 4 humidors on the go so its an easy fix for me.
    If you feel they are too dry, they will burn unevenly is a good indicator, get your display case, leave it in your bathroom for a couple of days, not beside the shower/bath but the steam will help to rehydrate them. After a couple of day you will notice a significant difference, providing you are using the bath/shower causing steam. You will see a difference in the outer leaf/wrapper and they will feel different to touch, feel slightly damp. Once this happens. Take them out of the bathroom and leave in a cool dry corner and let them settle, at least 1-2 weeks. After that you are good to go.

If you are unsure pm me I will be happy to discuss further.

Enjoy the cohiba's they are one of my favourites.

Advertisement