Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upset stomach after beer. Don't laugh!

Options
  • 19-07-2013 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Figured this might be a good forum to post this, as maybe it's a lads problem when drinking pints.

Not looking for medical advice obviously. This pretty much always happens when I drink beer (Heineken for example).

Say, after the first 3 or 4 pints, not more than that, it goes through me. Literally. It's a case where I am drinking, then I have to go to the toilet. But it's kind of "if I don't find a toilet now, I'm in big trouble".
    I'm talking number 2s folks.

Afterwards I feel fine, and can drink more pints without the same feeling. Just number 1s! I don't feel sick the day after even, apart from a potential hangover, but my stomach wouldn't be upset.

I don't know why it happens. Almost like my body is reacting to the first few pints in it.

I wouldn't drink a whole lot, not every week, maybe once a month at the moment. It wouldn't happen if I went out and just had one pint and went home.
    It only happens after 3,4 pints, but always does. Even if I drink a lot of bottles, same thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd imagine its because there isn't enough space in your body for 4 pints so to make room,it gets pushed down and results in your bowels getting flushed out.

Some alcohol is known to have laxative effects so perhaps trying a different type of beer may assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Will avoid standing next to you in a crowded bar so!!! I get something similar from coffee. I guess our bodies react differently to certain liquids. I'm grand then once I get to the toilet. But I can understand the "I have to find a toilet now' feeling. Could be an allergy to wheat or something. Best of mentioning it the doctor next time you pay him a visit or one of those allergy consultant guys. Pubs are the worst place for pooping. Anytime I'm standing at a urinal and can hear somebody pooping in a cubicle I laugh uncontrollably. Real mature of me. I just find farts to be hilarious.

I hope this isn't seen as medical advice by the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Like the poster above me said, sounds like it could be a wheat/gluten allergy. Try drinking cider/spirits next time and see if that helps, or get a food allergy test to get it checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_drinking_beer_increase_bowel_movement

http://www.ask.com/question/increased-bowel-movements-in-early-pregnancy

Ignore the pregancy reference in the second link, it's actually about beer. :D

Do you smoke OP? Smoking is a stimulant that increases the frequency of bowel movements. A lot of people who quit suffer from constipation initially. If you do smoke chances are you smoke more while drinking so that would contribute to it. Apart from the inconvenience it doesn't sound like it causes you any major problems, so stay near the loo until after your clearout.

Edit:
    manlad: Caffeine is a stimulant too, you may just be hypersensitive to it. A lot of people deliberately smoke a cigarette with coffee to have that effect (a lot will find it happens as a result anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_drinking_beer_increase_bowel_movement

http://www.ask.com/question/increased-bowel-movements-in-early-pregnancy

Ignore the pregancy reference in the second link, it's actually about beer. :D

Do you smoke OP? Smoking is a stimulant that increases the frequency of bowel movements. A lot of people who quit suffer from constipation initially. If you do smoke chances are you smoke more while drinking so that would contribute to it. Apart from the inconvenience it doesn't sound like it causes you any major problems, so stay near the loo until after your clearout.

Edit:
    manlad: Caffeine is a stimulant too, you may just be hypersensitive to it. A lot of people deliberately smoke a cigarette with coffee to have that effect (a lot will find it happens as a result anyway)

Ye I've heard it about it being a stimulant, I also notice the same thing from smoking but not so much. Sometimes I just have that morning coffee to start the bowel movements. Its terrible a person in this day and age cant have a coffee and a smoke without feeling the urge to **** themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't smoke. I don't stand around the pub farting either! :)

It comes upon me fairly quickly, and then passes once I've been to the bathroom.

In fact, if I go into a pub knowing I'm going to be having a "feed" of pints, I'll usually scope out the bathrooms to make sure they are clean in case of emergency!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Could be Irritable Bowl Syndrome, cut down on wheat/gluten as mentioned above. Try gluten free beers or ciders. Although you should really go to a doctor, there's tablets etc they can prescribe which can help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Try a different kind of alcohol. I found a similar problem when drinking pints (only it came back up instead of causing... well, horrible diarrhoea). My solution? Maybe one or two pints to get going, then swiftly onto the shorts (my current favourite being vodka and Lucozade; tastes the same, more or less, as a vodka and Red Bull, but with no caffeine so you won't be up half the night).

Worked for me. I can drink merrily to my heart's content on the voddy and Luco now, fearing very little about unrequired emissions from anywhere in my body. Unless I more on to the 20th or so vodka, then I can be spotted simultaneously pissing against a bin, while throwing up into it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I used be the same with cider - switched to Guinness and happy days - well maybe not the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I like beer but the problem is that most beers are full of chemicals unless you buy the ones that are more expensive and not mass produced. Most people's priority on a night out is getting piss drunk so the majority of people aren't fussy about what they drink, which means there's not much of a market for anything better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Pug160 wrote: »
    I like beer but the problem is that most beers are full of chemicals unless you buy the ones that are more expensive and not mass produced. Most people's priority on a night out is getting piss drunk so the majority of people aren't fussy about what they drink, which means there's not much of a market for anything better.

I always thought that the reason Guinness is easier on the stomach is because less additives etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

DazMarz wrote: »
    Try a different kind of alcohol. I found a similar problem when drinking pints (only it came back up instead of causing... well, horrible diarrhoea). My solution? Maybe one or two pints to get going, then swiftly onto the shorts (my current favourite being vodka and Lucozade; tastes the same, more or less, as a vodka and Red Bull, but with no caffeine so you won't be up half the night).

Worked for me. I can drink merrily to my heart's content on the voddy and Luco now, fearing very little about unrequired emissions from anywhere in my body. Unless I more on to the 20th or so vodka, then I can be spotted simultaneously pissing against a bin, while throwing up into it. :o

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

mfceiling wrote: »
    :eek:

It rarely happens, so don't be fretting about lil' ol' me. Happened at the end of May at a friend's birthday. I don't think I'm over it yet... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't drink spirits though....

Advertisement