Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringfort?

Options
  • 19-07-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Another possible find,

Anybody know if there is any info about the following co-ordinates

53.422378,-6.62452 on Google Maps.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kicking Bird

Hi cfuserkildare,

This is already a recorded monument(ME049-015).It's described as a ringfort - rath,and is located in the townland of Mulhussey,Co.Meath.

I've attached below the description given in the NMS records:

Raised circular area defined by remains of earthen bank (diam. 30m) with external fosse, outside of which is a berm (W 20m) defined by earthen bank with outer fosse and further external bank. Central and outer bank destroyed SE-SW. Entrance through three banks at NNE with causeway over inner fosse.

See image attached below:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Thats grand,

Didn't even know what that townland was.

Can't check out known monuments as work network restrictions are so tight.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Just as a point of interest,

Has anybody got a viable theory as to why there are a bunch of raths almost in a row, well an arc really, this may also be something maybe not

53.425492,-6.610733

I was theorising whether or not the "PALE" may have been a copy of a previous structure, or at least idea.

Anybody cast an opinion?

Advertisement