Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to bay trees for a front door patio

Options
  • 19-07-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of advice. We've a large front door patio and wanted to put two trees either side of the front door. However, I priced bay trees and the local garden centre wants €129.99 a tree.

Is there any alternative tree could be suggested by anyone? My brother got two trees for €40 each that look nice on his patio but he does not know the name.

About €50 a tree is all I want to spend as the pots we're getting are also €50.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That garden center is a total rip off - heres a nice pair of them on ebay for about €60 delivered - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PAIR-of-Standard-Herb-Bay-Trees-Lollipop-Heads-3-Ft-Tall-Laurus-nobilis-/400514599302?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item5d4087c986

I bought two small ones about a foot tall each for about 5 euro each last year and they are thriving.
    Look on ebay is my strong recommendation!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Supercell wrote: »
    That garden center is a total rip off - heres a nice pair of them on ebay for about €60 delivered - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PAIR-of-Standard-Herb-Bay-Trees-Lollipop-Heads-3-Ft-Tall-Laurus-nobilis-/400514599302?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item5d4087c986

I bought two small ones about a foot tall each for about 5 euro each last year and they are thriving.
    Look on ebay is my strong recommendation!

Would delivery to ROI not be very high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What size are the pots, and is the front door in full shade all the time, or does it get a bit of shade?

Camillia might be a good option in a pot. Get ericaecous compost is the only caveat, they prefer it. I find they get a darker green and more glossy in partial shade.

Laurels or Holly are fine in pots. Evergreen as well, and both take a good clipping.

You are paying for the age of the plant with bays. If you go for a younger (smaller, less clipped) plant, and have the years to grow it yourself, you cna get them cheaper.

If you like a bit of drama, and want something large, you could go for a grassy looking plant instead.

pwurple wrote: »
    What size are the pots, and is the front door in full shade all the time, or does it get a bit of shade?

Camillia might be a good option in a pot. Get ericaecous compost is the only caveat, they prefer it. I find they get a darker green and more glossy in partial shade.

Laurels or Holly are fine in pots. Evergreen as well, and both take a good clipping.

You are paying for the age of the plant with bays. If you go for a younger (smaller, less clipped) plant, and have the years to grow it yourself, you cna get them cheaper.

If you like a bit of drama, and want something large, you could go for a grassy looking plant instead.

It's in shade most of the time as there's a small patio roof above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lemlin wrote: »
    Would delivery to ROI not be very high?

That was including delivery - see the ad ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of advice. We've a large front door patio and wanted to put two trees either side of the front door. However, I priced bay trees and the local garden centre wants €129.99 a tree.

Is there any alternative tree could be suggested by anyone? My brother got two trees for €40 each that look nice on his patio but he does not know the name.

About €50 a tree is all I want to spend as the pots we're getting are also €50.

It's in shade most of the time as there's a small patio roof above it.

50 euro will really only get you something quite small.

If you can get together a bigger budget,then you will have more options,and can look at bigger trees.

Ilex Nellie Stevens...would be nice on a front door entrance/patio.

Some nice large pots and a good regular watering aswell,as they will be in the rain shade/shadow of the wall/porch/roof.
    IMO,this would make a nice feature for your porch/entrance.

Evergreen,nice white flowers in summetime,and lovely festive red berries in wintertime.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have you a local Aldi?

An old offer but your local store might have some of these left
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/information/gardening-plants/plants-to-look-out-for/plants-to-look-out-for/ps/p/bay-trees-1/

paddy147 wrote: »
    50 euro will really only get you something quite small.

If you can get together a bigger budget,then you will have more options,and can look at bigger trees.

Ilex Nellie Stevens...would be nice on a front door entrance/patio.

Some nice large pots and a good regular watering aswell,as they will be in the rain shade/shadow of the wall/porch/roof.
    IMO,this would make a nice feature for your porch/entrance.

Evergreen,nice white flowers in summetime,and lovely festive red berries in wintertime.:)

How much would I be looking at for those?

How much would I be looking at for those?

Around 180 euro each......as it goes on age and size of tree.

The bigger the tree,then the more money it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, can I suggest that you should not consider putting expensive trees in a spot that is mostly in shade, and under shelter. Certainly not bay trees, they are not very forgiving even in optimum positions. I suggest that you spend your money on two attractive, tall pots, then plant them up with inexpensive, shade-loving shrubs, so that if they die you can easily replace them, and experiment with the kinds of plants that will grow in that situation.

• Advertisement

You could put in a nice square or round pot on each side of the porch,plant up a nice nice box ball and then underplant with small black grasses.

You could do that (plant wize) with your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I had box plants outside my door for years and hated them.
    I recently replanted with lavender and they look fabulous, and a lot more natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

ST0165.jpg

This is red robin. I have similar ones in pots.

madrabui wrote: »
    ST0165.jpg

Those are nice. How much though?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,184 ✭✭✭✭km79

madrabui wrote: »
    ST0165.jpg

My front door is north facing. Sheltered but shaded after 1pm or so.
    Would red robin be ok there ? I like them and they are more attractive than box or Bay in my eyes anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are not expensive and much easier than bay trees. Attractive too. They would need some attention though to keep them in shape. If you buy a shrub with a minimum of stems, keep one stem and keep trimming the growth and removing side shoots until it makes the shape you want it would be cheaper than buying one ready done. They are quite fast growing and can be successfully trimmed/pruned.

A mere 800 euro will get you this rather nice 10 foot tall "cloud pruned" Hornbeam tree.

Also some nice small and unusual bay/laurel trees aswell.:)

Advertisement