Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know anyone that can fix an interface?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

My interface's USB port is damaged,The pin's inside the output are bent beyond repair and it look's like the port itself need's replacing.
    I've sent an E-mail to the retailer I bought it from but I bought it back in '09 so it's doubtful I still have a warranty.Right now it's currently in my local shop where they're waiting to see if they can get a part.Does anyone in here know of a place or person that could do this job or maybe find the part?

http://yourhomerecordingstudio.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fast-track-rear.jpg

The usb port at the bottom left is damaged.This pic is of one without pin's,I'm not sure if it would have to be the same port with the pin's or if the part in the picture would suffice(I think the older model's have pin's).

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Any laptop repair place should be able to replace that. PC World may not touch it as it isn't in their price list, but anyone who can solder and open laptop can do that.

Replacement is easily available.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Thank's for that,I didn't know how easily attainable the part's were.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

If you are handy with a soldering iron, this is a relatively easy fix. You need to desolder the old usb port off of the PCB (printed circuit board) and resolder the new one back on, being careful to match the alignment with the hole in the metal chassis. Opening up the unit may involve using small phillips or torx - type screws. Take lots of photos with your mobile phone as you go so that you remember what came from where (especially if you find you have different sized screws. If you need to remove the pcb from the chassis, just be sure to not pull too hard on any interconnecting wires or ribbon cables without first photographing them and (importantly) disconnecting them from their connectors properly (abroken cable or connector are difficult to source or replace). You may have to remove the knobs and controls on the front of the chassis to extract the PCB for soldering - you can do this by GENTLY prying the knobs away from their spindles with a scredriver, but put something between the screwdriver head and the metal chassis to stop it getting scratched.

When you buy the new connector from maplins also purchase some desoldering braid and then watch a couple of youtube videos to learn how to use it properly to remove the old component and solder. It will make the job so much easier.

If you haven't soldered before or are not up for giving it a go, see if you have a friend who may do it for you.

All the best - let us know how you get on.

I actually have a soldering iron from College but I'm hopeless with the thing.I think I only ever made one half-working object with it before so I don't want to risk it on something so important,If it was a mic cable or something I'd give it a shot no problem.Right now it's in a shop anyway so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.I'm starting to miss it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bradlente wrote: »
    I actually have a soldering iron from College but I'm hopeless with the thing.I think I only ever made one half-working object with it before so I don't want to risk it on something so important,If it was a mic cable or something I'd give it a shot no problem.Right now it's in a shop anyway so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.I'm starting to miss it!

You really need to change the shop. 1 week for such simple fault is a joke.
    Replacing USB port is not a rocket science, and "sourcing" the part is another joke.

Let us know how much You paid.

Well I might as well bump here...

Have moved twice in as many months.So my stuff has been all over the place and I still haven't got it sorted!

I bought the part off Maplins(thanks gctest50) and have (hopefully) moved for the last time in a while so am a bit more in need of the gear now.I took it out of the shop it was in as I'm now in Dublin and am going to head somewhere later today(or tomorrow if it's too late) and just get the soldering job done.Looking forward to having it up and running again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

I have loads of those USB pins here.
    I have a habit of letting my laptop fall with something in the USB
    It beyond easy to change the only hard part is getting the broken port out.

If you can do that there is no need to bring it to someone to fix it.

I tried slightly at first to pry the broken bit out,But I decided to leave it to someone who's used to doing these thing's regularly.

I've done a bit of soldering myself in College before,I think I never made anything that actually worked!So I know from previous that I'm bad at this and just don't like it at all,Even though it's probably considered an easy job.
    Waiting on a quote now.

Bumping this thread just to let you all know a fellow that goes by the name of Chet T16 round these parts fixed up my gear about a month or so ago and he did a damn fine job.Had it back in no time as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement