Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be young now or then ??

Options
  • 18-07-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

It's a question often posed by my old friends :
    Would you rather be young now or back in the day ?
    Would you like to be a young member of the touch screen generation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think i would like to be young now, I enjoyed my childhood and teens - possibly I didn't think so at the time, but in rosy hindsight I did! I think all the communications stuff makes life more complicated than it need be, and job prospects are so limited that its going to be a while before society sorts out how to deal with all the people who will never reach their full potential at work.

I suppose though that in 50 years time the current young people will be saying something similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I totally agree Looksee, life is a lot more complicated now and the job situation is so appalling. I also think however, that young people have much higher expectations than we did. They correctly assume that they can go to third level, which is a major improvement in my opinion. They also expect to have a lot more in their homes than we did. When I think back to our first 'married' home, we moved in with my granny's fireside chairs and a black/white portable tv and a pile of bits that other people donated. Nowadays expectations are far higher :D Leather couches, flat screen tvs, digital tv....... I'm not saying they shouldn't have those things, it's just different to our experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Wouldn't want to be young today. Too much pressure on young people in school, work, social life, relationships etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Glad to have been young when I was. When we were children we were kicked out first thing in the morning and told 'go play' and we weren't seen until we were hungry or it was getting dark. Now I look at young children and their lives are being organised for them, they are brought from one activity to another, play dates are organised - no calling to somebody's house to see if they are allowed out.

jos28 wrote: »
    I totally agree Looksee, life is a lot more complicated now and the job situation is so appalling. I also think however, that young people have much higher expectations than we did. They correctly assume that they can go to third level, which is a major improvement in my opinion. They also expect to have a lot more in their homes than we did. When I think back to our first 'married' home, we moved in with my granny's fireside chairs and a black/white portable tv and a pile of bits that other people donated. Nowadays expectations are far higher :D Leather couches, flat screen tvs, digital tv....... I'm not saying they shouldn't have those things, it's just different to our experience.

Jeez Luweez!! You had chairs and a TV! :eek: You were lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Same as everyone else...I wouldnt want to be young in today's mad world.

Having said that my kids, well they're not really kids now, seem to enjoy life (mostly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Would only want to be young if I had the knowledge gained from all my experiences. As that is not possible I have to say no

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Citycap wrote: »
    Would only want to be young if I had the knowledge gained from all my experiences. As that is not possible I have to say no

Not the knowledge so much. I'd still like life to hold surprises. The wisdom maybe? Such as it is...

Apart from the rather disconcerting sense of 'its all downhill from here' I quite like the feeling of unfrazzledness and confidence that comes with getting older. Something of the 'When I am an old woman I shall wear purple ' idea.

Sadly, I don't live in a completely unfrazzled world as yet! Still dealing with 'stuff' that should have been over and done with by now.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't live in a completely unfrazzled world as yet! Still dealing with 'stuff' that should have been over and done with by now.

Oh my world is still quite frazzled, but my brain deals with it more sensibly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I grew up in the 80's!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said :D

bumper234 wrote: »

Hah! More than nuff, y'baby ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

bumper234 wrote: »

I refuse to grow up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

growing old is compulsory

growing up is optional :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

To be honest BBDBB I gave up on the latter when I found out it was a mistake to throw away all those possibilities for fun.

Advertisement