Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the current high Irish tempratures matching Britains highs?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Is it my imagination ar are the current Highs experienced on the island of Ireland matching those high experienced in parts of Britain?
    namely the South of England.

Over the decades I have always noticed a two, three, or four degree difference between the hightest tempratures recorded in Ireland, and those highs recorded in the South of England, but I am I correct in saying that this year things have leveled up between the two islands? with Ireland recording equally high tempratures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Since Saturday last the South of England has been a fair bit warmer, but we're catching up in the next few days.

The spell of hot weather last week, we were matching or above the UK heat wise. :)

The UK have the warmest recorded temp so far I do believe, but on a whole since June, Ireland has had it every bit as good if not better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No the UK is hotter than us since last weekend as John.Icy said but up to that we were having a better summer. The UK missed out on the June heatwave that we enjoyed, I remember feeling very smug :P when I was getting texts from London saying how cold and grey it was when we were basking - its always the other way round!
    The UK's highest temperature this summer up to last Saturday was 29.9c at Omagh. This summer Ireland hit 30c before the UK and I would be very interested to know when was the last time that happened or did it ever happen at all before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I'm just back from Manchester after being over there for 4 days and while it was nice and warm over there I really felt the heat/humidity in Shannon when I stepped out of the plane there this evening at 10:30 or so.
    I think the humidity was definitely lower in Manchester anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

... This summer Ireland hit 30c before the UK and I would be very interested to know when was the last time that happened or did it ever happen at all before?

I think it might have happened in Belmullet a few times a couple of years ago. In those years where the springtime was our summer!
    I remember Belmullet being the warmest place in Europe, or so the tabloids said! It was around mid may and Belmullet broke 30c, while england was warm but I think it was only about 28c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

The UK's highest temperature this summer up to last Saturday was 29.9c at Omagh.

I think London hit 32.2c on Tuesday or Wednesday this week. We'll do well to beat that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

No the UK is hotter than us since last weekend as John.Icy said but up to that we were having a better summer. The UK missed out on the June heatwave that we enjoyed, I remember feeling very smug :P when I was getting texts from London saying how cold and grey it was when we were basking - its always the other way round!
    The UK's highest temperature this summer up to last Saturday was 29.9c at Omagh. This summer Ireland hit 30c before the UK and I would be very interested to know when was the last time that happened or did it ever happen at all before?

Omagh is on this island though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The first week of the heatwave, July 5th to 12th we in Ireland were several degrees warmer than swathes of the UK that are usually under the influence of the continent. This was because a northeast breeze blew in sea fog across much of this region. However, when we got into the south-westerly over the weekend, this pushed back the northeasterly wind from the UK an in effect they imported alot of the pent-up Irish heat. This new warmer source, coupled with a high sun allowed temperatures there to nudge above Irish values into the low 30s. The high pressure is now drawing in a continental source for both islands so the traditional UK being warmer will really take hold as their heat only has one short sea-crossing to make. On the plus side, we will get nice thunderstorms here as low pressure tries to undercut from the SW approaches. An interesting weekend-into-next-week spell coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Omagh is on this island though
    yes, I know, I was just pointing out the fact that the highest temperature in the "UK" was actually in Ireland. That reminds me, I'm almost certain the lowest temperature in the "UK" in Dec '10 was at Castlederg Co Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Castlederg i think was the lowest recorded temp during the day (UK) at -6.2c. A place in scotland if I recall had the lowest night temp somewhere in the region of -21c. I remember this as i was going through a phase of watching the BBC news in the mornings instead of Sky news.

I think Castlederg was the coldest recorded station on the island of Ireland with -18c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

snaps wrote: »
    Castlederg i think was the lowest recorded temp during the day (UK) at -6.2c. A place in scotland if I recall had the lowest night temp somewhere in the region of -21c. I remember this as i was going through a phase of watching the BBC news in the mornings instead of Sky news.

From memory I think that was Altnaharra in the Scottish highlands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ballyhaise had a daytime "max" of -9.4c in Dec 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

MY original question surrounds the fact that temperatures on (the island of Ireland) seem to be matching temperasures on the island of Britain?

I deliberately avoided the term UK because it includes part of this island.

So, UK aside, are tempretures on the island of Ireland matching temps in Britain? and I think the answer is Yes, but possibly with more humidity?

If this island is matching Britain for summer heat, then when (what year) did it start to happen? because as far as I can remember Ireland has always been a few degrees cooler than Britain at this time of year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement