Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good beginners videos on youtube?

• 18-07-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Had a lesson or two a couple of summers ago and recently wanted to get back into the sport. I remember a few things from the lessons (the left/right hand grip, posture, transferring weight etc) but was wondering if you guys know of a good series of videos on youtube.
    A lot of the channels I have found are quite hard to follow, there is no real structure to the uploads. Do you guys have anything in mind for a beginner? Any good websites?

Thanks,
    Gav.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a livingsocial deal for instance and get a cheap quick lesson.

I ended up using my whole 1 1/2 hour session in one go but gave me a good place to start.

Also if you are looking for a game, I am just starting too so probably evenly matched

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

These 2 generally come out on top when people are recommending youtube instructional videos

Mark Crossfield here

Shawn Clement here

In terms of structure, or them being hard to follow, I see what you mean and I don't think you'll find a sequence to these.... but what is the sequence to a good golf swing.... there are so many different approaches, so many areas that different players struggle with, so it's a hard task to cover everything in sequence.

What I would recommend is sticking to one or two sources of information, like the two above, and sticking with it.

As always, you'll benefit more from an actual lesson but these guys are good if limited to youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    These 2 generally come out on top when people are recommending youtube instructional videos

Mark Crossfield here

Shawn Clement here

In terms of structure, or them being hard to follow, I see what you mean and I don't think you'll find a sequence to these.... but what is the sequence to a good golf swing.... there are so many different approaches, so many areas that different players struggle with, so it's a hard task to cover everything in sequence.

What I would recommend is sticking to one or two sources of information, like the two above, and sticking with it.

As always, you'll benefit more from an actual lesson but these guys are good if limited to youtube.

Shawn Clement has a beginner download for only 10 dollars on this page:

http://www.wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=72

called "NEW VIDEO DOWNLOAD FOR BEGINNERS"
    Reckon that'd be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

ajcurry123 wrote: »

Mark Crossfield here

Shawn Clement here

Thanks for your suggestions. Yeah I've been looking at some of mark crossfield's stuff. He's one of the better ones I've seen. By structure, I was refering to the videos they upload. I was sort of looking for a series of videos (like what you would find on a beginners type video with multiple episodes)

While Mark's videos are great. There is just so many of them that it is sort of overwhelming. I'm not sure where to start with the content. I obviously don't have to time to watch all 850 videos :P

I am planning to get another lesson in sometime soon and also plan on going out with some family members this weekend to one of the council courses to get a bit of field time in.

I seem to remember quite a lot from the lessons a couple of summers ago. Getting a good connection on almost all of my shots. A few bad ones still there but I'm looking for better consistency.

If I remember well, my short game needs a lot of work too!

Going to try and find a video camera around the house somewhere so that I can have a look at my swing and compare it to those weekly videos that mark does and see what sort of problems I'm having at the moment.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Advertisement