Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flushing sheep

• 18-07-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have a group of 40 sheep, hoggets - 2nd crops. Lambs are all gone last week. I have them hymned up in a small break paddock since Tuesday, and was wondering when will I move them 2 good grass??

I want 2 have early lambs (January -mid feb)
    Also how many rams will I need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

If you're looking for lambs jan/mid feb then the rams need to be going out at the start of september, therefore ewes can be kept on bare enough grazing until then, provided body condition is around 3.5 at flushing time.
    If i was running 40 ewes and wanted early lambs i'd buy a teaser and throw him in with the ewes 12 days before the ram goes in to get them cycling as this will bring the ewes into oestrus together and tighten up your lambing, hopefully everything would tup early in the first cycle.

One ram would easily cover 40 ewes but its always better to have a backup in case one goes lame or not working. Obviously certain breeds of ewes will come into season sooner than others out of seson thus why i would be an advocate of using a teaser, also helps if you work out and need to take time off work!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭farmers101

If you're looking for lambs jan/mid feb then the rams need to be going out at the start of september, therefore ewes can be kept on bare enough grazing until then, provided body condition is around 3.5 at flushing time.
    If i was running 40 ewes and wanted early lambs i'd buy a teaser and throw him in with the ewes 12 days before the ram goes in to get them cycling as this will bring the ewes into oestrus together and tighten up your lambing, hopefully everything would tup early in the first cycle.

One ram would easily cover 40 ewes but its always better to have a backup in case one goes lame or not working. Obviously certain breeds of ewes will come into season sooner than others out of seson thus why i would be an advocate of using a teaser, also helps if you work out and need to take time off work!

I was thinking about a teaser ram, same as a vasectomised bull! does people sell teaser rams? or do ya have to get a vet to vasectomise them? thanks for your help!!

Mostly you would pick up a ram lamb Dorsets would be best for randiness and get the vet to vasectomise it. Costs about 60 squids here to get it done but not much overall if you tighten up lambing and save a lamb. I've done a few and sold three from the yard this month for that purpose after neighbours got a lend of them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭farmers101

Mostly you would pick up a ram lamb Dorsets would be best for randiness and get the vet to vasectomise it. Costs about 60 squids here to get it done but not much overall if you tighten up lambing and save a lamb. I've done a few and sold three from the yard this month for that purpose after neighbours got a lend of them last year.

Can they work straight after getting the vet to do it?

advice would be to leave them 4-6 weeks before they're needed

• Advertisement
Advertisement