Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new mac - Which one and when?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently a MBA 13" 2012 owner (base model). I do a lot of work in video, and I'm starting to get into music now too.

I'm finding that this model in particular isn't the best for video, with long export and import times, and the fan has to run to keep it ticking along. I'm in the market for a new mac so I'd like your help:

My budget is around 1,500 and I have access to student pricing through Campus.ie

Mac:
    New MBA - Are they that much of a step up? Storage is an issue for me.
    MacBook Pro - Used to have one, but bringing one with me everyday is annoying, its a heavy thing.
    MBP Retina - Seemingly what I want, more power and double the storage.

I know the retina is pushing my limits of thr budget but I want a laptop that will last me about two years and I just don't have that feeling with the Air.

The Retina is coming up to a refresh point though, with hopefully more storage (all I need). When do you think that is? Or should I go for a different option?

Your help and assistance would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the Retina is due a refresh. Possibly late August or September alongside Mavericks. When exactly probably depends how well on iOS 7 is going. If it's going well Apple may want to get Mavericks out of the way first; if it's going badly they could pull people off Mavericks to work on iOS 7, which could delay things.

While the 13-inch Retina will probably come with greater storage, you might want to consider getting a portable hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Haswell Retina machine will probably be the one you want.

It's the one I want but don't have the money (or the real need) for :-(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Zcott wrote: »
    Haswell Retina machine will probably be the one you want.

It's the one I want but don't have the money (or the real need) for :-(

I am in the same boat. This machine will do far more than I ever need, I although I really, really don't need it (nor can I afford it).....I just want one :)

Advertisement