Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.F.O in sky???

Options
  • 18-07-2013 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

About two nights ago I was standing at my front door looking up at the sky when I noticed a light in the sky, it was flickering and moving left and right then down and up, then it would suddenly stop for a moment, then it would start up again. I stared up at it for ages and I couldn't figure out what it was, it wasn't a plane, Chinese lantern or a star so the only other thing I could think of was a satellite but I don't think they behave that way.

Anyway I'm looking at the same thing tonight, it's been up there for more than an hour now in the exact same spot doing the exact same movement. It never moves across the sky it stays in the same area all the time.

Any ideas of what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Where abouts are you? Stupid question but could it be a transmitter that you usually wouldn't take notice of during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Where abouts are you? Stupid question but could it be a transmitter that you usually wouldn't take notice of during the day?

No im not near anything like that. It's way higher than any transmitter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

So where are you?

So where are you?

Clonmel, County Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Report your sighting at www.aprai.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

did you video it?

maccored wrote: »
    did you video it?

No and I have no means of videoing it unfortunately.

However there must be a reasonable explanation for it, could it be a satellite?

When I look up into the sky now I can't see anything, this thing is only ever there, or visible, at night.

ah pity. I seen something very similar about 25 years ago. It looked like a star that was just zipping around a small area of the sky at mad speeds - making very sharp turns and stopping and starting pretty randomly. never found out what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,277 ✭✭✭✭endacl

did you video it?
    If you do, make sure its out of focus and shaky.

endacl wrote: »
    If you do, make sure its out of focus and shaky.

im sure everyone reading that is just on the floor in stitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,277 ✭✭✭✭endacl

im sure everyone reading that is just on the floor in stitches.

Hope not. It was well intended advice. Didn't mean to injure or incapacitate anybody.

Try asking over in the astronomy forum OP. The first port of call for astronomical phenomena you can't immediately identify needn't necessarily be paranormal. You could also try putting the time/date into http://www.heavens-above.com/ to see what satellite activity might have been happening around that time. Iridium flares can be startling if you don't know what you're looking at. If that's what you saw.

If you do take a video though, and want it to be taken seriously on YouTube, out of focus and shaky is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

I remember something similar whilst in Spain a couple of years ago, I pointed it out to some family members, none of them giving it much attention.

Still wondering about it to this day..,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Sounds a lot like Sirius, the Dog Star. It's very bright, flickers and, because of movement of the atmosphere, can appear to move as you described. Also, just staring at it can cause false impressions of movement. What direction were you facing and at what time? How high in the sky was the object?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

This thread might interest you OP. Lots of folk have seen similar, but I think the consensus was optical illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

i saw what looked like a star moving across the sky last weekend and the august bank holiday weekend.it didnt flicker just looked like a star moving across the sky. im wondering is the space station close to the atmosphere, doesnt that look similar? im in the waterford area if anyone else spotted it around here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

i saw what looked like a star moving across the sky last weekend and the august bank holiday weekend.it didnt flicker just looked like a star moving across the sky. im wondering is the space station close to the atmosphere, doesnt that look similar? im in the waterford area if anyone else spotted it around here

That would've been a satellite. You can see loads of them if your in an area with low light pollution. Look just like a star moving on a fixed track.

Advertisement