Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy disposable cameras

Options
  • 17-07-2013 8:18pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just to warn everyone about an issue that i have just had. I purchased a disposable camera (battery not charged in the digital) in the <SNIP> hospital shop. Took photos and dropped it into a camera shop for processing. No sooner had i taken it out of my pocket when the camera shop guy told me it was a dud camera and he proceeded to take off the rapper and show me that it had been previously used, film removed and a new film put it and the whole item stuck together with black tape all hidden behind the cardboard. He said i will be lucky to get 50% of the photos and he was right. Quality is teally bad an only 12 out of 27 came out. He said that this is going on all over and he would only recommend branded products that dont have cardboard cases. I was not a happy camper about it especially when i saw what was behind the case

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should go back to the shop and explain this person's findings and ask for your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Instead of blaming the shop even before you give them the slightest chance to replace the product have you thought for one second other ways this could happen or do you just simpky bput the blame on the easiest option?

Maybe, just maybe some unscrupulous customer returned the product after using it and hoodwinked whoever was serving - believe me the dishonesty of some consumers would utterly amaze you!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

sandin wrote: »
    Instead of blaming the shop even before you give them the slightest chance to replace the product have you thought for one second other ways this could happen or do you just simpky bput the blame on the easiest option?

Maybe, just maybe some unscrupulous customer returned the product after using it and hoodwinked whoever was serving - believe me the dishonesty of some consumers would utterly amaze you!

This is simply not the case, the product was professionally wrapped in a cardboard sleeve. I dont blame the shop directly as they are clearly buying them from a supplier and may or may not know that the products are faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kkelliher wrote: »
    I purchased a disposable camera (battery not charged in the digital) in the <SNIP> hospital shop.
    Let them know, as many people buying cameras in a hospital shop do it for important memories. Maybe write a letter to the hospital about the shop selling said camera may get better results?

This is simply not the case, the product was professionally wrapped in a cardboard sleeve. I dont blame the shop directly as they are clearly buying them from a supplier and may or may not know that the products are faulty

according to the post, it certainly looks like your are blaming the shop and came running onto a public forum naming them and shaming them without a care in the world to the fact that the chances are they are not in any way to blame.

Take it back to them and allow them check their stock so that they do not unwittingly sell one to someone else. - that's what a good customer will do.

BTW - I can assure you some "customers" are very very good at repackaging items. - Even of low value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

These "recycled" cameras are all over the place and are peddled by unscrupulous market stall type dealers who might also be selling illegal dvd's or illegal cigarettes. they are usually recycled in places like Africa, China or India where labour is cheap enough to maximise profits. They just insert a new cheap film into the camera and test the flash once and it is then considered to be working.

As for it being the fault of the shop well if they don't buy from reputable sources(who wouldn't be selling these knock-offs) they can't really expect quality goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

foggy_lad wrote: »
    As for it being the fault of the shop well if they don't buy from reputable sources(who wouldn't be selling these knock-offs) they can't really expect quality goods.
    As I read through the discussion, this is exactly the thought I was forming. A "hospital shop" is almost certainly an imprecise description: it's more likely to be a privately-owned shop renting space in the hospital. There is a good chance they are paying a very challenging rent, and might resort to sharp practice or dubious business methods in order to survive. Or it might simply be greed. Or even ignorance, trusting a rep who tells them that the recycled cameras are just as good as the branded originals.

according to the post, it certainly looks like your are blaming the shop and came running onto a public forum naming them and shaming them without a care in the world to the fact that the chances are they are not in any way to blame.

Take it back to them and allow them check their stock so that they do not unwittingly sell one to someone else. - that's what a good customer will do.

BTW - I can assure you some "customers" are very very good at repackaging items. - Even of low value.

Two points in respect to this:

(1) they are to blame as they are selling the product and i am fully entitled to notify the world if i feel it is justified
    (2) surly if they cared about their customers they would know the quality of what they sell

As you are clearly a retailer of some sort i assume you are reading this with some sort of one sided goggles. This is a consumer forum and i was highlighting a clear issue and have outlined the facts. It is not my responsibility to notify a retailer that they are selling crap surly he should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

(1) they are to blame as they are selling the product and i am fully entitled to notify the world if i feel it is justified
    (2) surly if they cared about their customers they would know the quality of what they sell...
    I think that you are just a little bit harsh.

First, I would prefer to say that they are responsible for the product they sell rather than to blame.

Second, retailers (and especially small ones) do not always know the quality of what they sell. They usually have a belief or opinion about the quality, but they cannot field-test everything.

That said, I acknowledge that there are some retailers out there who have no great regard for their customers, and do not make a serious effort to treat them fairly. Most such businesses fail, but any one of us might be stung by them before they depart the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

(2) surly if they cared about their customers they would want to know the quality of what they sell
    FYP.

As the saying goes for many a chipper; if you like what eat, tell others, if you don't, tell us.

• Advertisement

(2) surly if they cared about their customers they would know the quality of what they sell

As you are clearly a retailer of some sort i assume you are reading this with some sort of one sided goggles. This is a consumer forum and i was highlighting a clear issue and have outlined the facts. It is not my responsibility to notify a retailer that they are selling crap surly he should know.

Yes I am a retailer and an award winning one too - but how the hell is a shop going to correct an error if someone doesn't tell them?

If you make a mistake, surely you would like someone to give you a chance to correct it before screaming about it on a public forum?

if the store did not correct it or dismissed your issue, then it would be an issue to tells others about - but to scream about them and place the blame at their door when there are so many parts of a supply chain is just nonsense.

Now do the decent thing and call them / drop into them and allow them a chance to correct the issue.

Yes I am a retailer and an award winning one too - but how the hell is a shop going to correct an error if someone doesn't tell them?

If you make a mistake, surely you would like someone to give you a chance to correct it before screaming about it on a public forum?

if the store did not correct it or dismissed your issue, then it would be an issue to tells others about - but to scream about them and place the blame at their door when there are so many parts of a supply chain is just nonsense.

Now do the decent thing and call them / drop into them and allow them a chance to correct the issue.

At what point did i say i had not told them? I simply posted this issue to warn people about the issue of dodgy cameras and now have to defend myself against biased retailers. I believe if you put something on your shelf then you are responsible for it. I cannot believe you can be as niave to believe that as a retailer you are not responsible for the product. You are the point of sale, the point of contract, you are fully responsible for the products you sell.

At what point did i say i had not told them? I simply posted this issue to warn people about the issue of dodgy cameras and now have to defend myself against biased retailers. I believe if you put something on your shelf then you are responsible for it. I cannot believe you can be as niave to believe that as a retailer you are not responsible for the product. You are the point of sale, the point of contract, you are fully responsible for the products you sell.

I'm not biased, I'm knowledgeable - 30 years in retail this year. 10 years working with multi store groups in UK and Denmark, and an absolute stickler for ensuring customers get brilliant service.

Your original post in no way suggest that you were going back / had gone back. You named the shop (deleted by amod)

A retailer is not reponsible for the products they sell, they are responsible to the customer if the product does not live up to expectations. - It quite different. - Or do you want a retailer to test everything / open every packet before selling???

The retailer then has to repair, replace or refund if the product does not live up to what is described - the retailer in turn brings it to the attention of their supplier / the manufacturer. At the end of the day it is the manufacturer who is ultimately reponsible for the product they manufactured and any redress simply folllows the supply chain in reverse. - Customer returns to store, store replaces/refunds, store returns to distributor, distributir replaces/refunds, distributor returns to manufacturer, manufacturer checks what went wrong.

If there was an issue which resulted in injury or whatever with a product, it works the same way - customer goes after retailer, retailer goes after distrubutor, distributor goes after manufacturer.

But at the end of the day - LET THE RETAILER KNOW and give the retailer even the slightest chance to correct an issue before whining on a public forum.

If the retailer does not take the product back or gives you the hard shoulder, shout about it any way you like - I'd shout it from the rooftops as I despise poor service. But give them a bloody chance first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

While a retailer is not responsible for the products they do have to stand over what they sell by repairing, replacing or providing a refund in the event of a fault.

Would it not be in the retailers best interests to ensure the goods they buy are fit for purpose and of a quality which the description backs up? selling a recycled camera at full price and describing it as a new unused camera is surely illegal or deception?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    While a retailer is not responsible for the products they do have to stand over what they sell by repairing, replacing or providing a refund in the event of a fault.

Would it not be in the retailers best interests to ensure the goods they buy are fit for purpose and of a quality which the description backs up? selling a recycled camera at full price and describing it as a new unused camera is surely illegal or deception?

As said clearly, the retailer is reponsible to the customer and must ensure the customer gets what is described.

The OP said it was perfectly sealed in the cardboard sleeve - even when using it the OP did not seem to notice anything wrong. So the retailer sold it in good faith and the OP decided to shout about it and try and defame the retailer without even contacting the retailer to get a replacement /refund.

If the OP had bought it from a temporary market stall, the warning could be valid, but it was a bona fide store in a leading hospital.

OP decided to shout about it and try and defame the retailer without even contacting the retailer to get a replacement /refund..

If you read my initial post where does it say that i did not contact the retailer, notify them, or look for a refund.

My post relates to notification about dodgy cameras in circulation. Others have moved it from that point to suit a retail defence

Your original post in no way suggest that you were going back / had gone back. You named the shop (deleted by amod)

shout about it any way you like - I'd shout it from the rooftops as I despise poor service. But give them a bloody chance first.

My original post related to the fact that these cameras are in ciculation and yes i named the shop i bought the camera in.

I again point out that i have not mentioned at any stage that i have not already spoken to the shop about this issue. You appear to want to argue this point over and over when it was not the reason for my post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My original post related to the fact that these cameras are in ciculation and yes i named the shop i bought the camera in.

I again point out that i have not mentioned at any stage that i have not already spoken to the shop about this issue. You appear to want to argue this point over and over when it was not the reason for my post

So what did the retailer say and do about it?

So what did the retailer say and do about it?

the retailers employee (there is generally only 1 person in the shop) said he would have to let the owner know and he would come back to me. 17 days later I am still awaiting a response.

If you read my initial post where does it say that i did not contact the retailer, notify them, or look for a refund.

My post relates to notification about dodgy cameras in circulation. Others have moved it from that point to suit a retail defence

the retailers employee (there is generally only 1 person in the shop) said he would have to let the owner know and he would come back to me. 17 days later I am still awaiting a response.

This is my last post on this - I'm defending no retailer. I am saying you have gone about it the totally wrong way.

You now claim its 17 days since you went back to the retailer, yet in about 10 posts you did not mention once that you had brought it to the retailer's attention. In the original post you say it had "just happened", yet the last post says its almost 3 weeks since you brought it to the attention of the retailer..

sorry, but as you can see, things aren't adding up.

You got a faulty product - sh1t happens, bring it back, get a refund, move on with life, but do';t start bad mouthing a retailer without giving them a chance.
    Likewise, if you did something wrong to me, I'd give you a chance to rectify it - that called being decent.

• Advertisement

This is my last post on this - I'm defending no retailer. I am saying you have gone about it the totally wrong way.

You now claim its 17 days since you went back to the retailer, yet in about 10 posts you did not mention once that you had brought it to the retailer's attention. In the original post you say it had "just happened", yet the last post says its almost 3 weeks since you brought it to the attention of the retailer..

sorry, but as you can see, things aren't adding up.

You got a faulty product - sh1t happens, bring it back, get a refund, move on with life, but do';t start bad mouthing a retailer without giving them a chance.
    Likewise, if you did something wrong to me, I'd give you a chance to rectify it - that called being decent.

And for the last time if you read my post you will see that all i was doing was raising the issue of the cameras in ciculation and i was not as you have put it bad mouthing a retailer. The fact is i mentioned where i bought the camera end of storey.

Advertisement