Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone company for short visit?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I will be spending 17 days in Ireland. In the area of Kerry, Galway and Dublin.

I am thinking of getting a local SIM card. Wonder which company would you recommend? Who has the best coverage in this area? I will need data packages as well.

Also, when i make a mobile call from Kerry to Galway/Dublin, is it considered outstation call?

Thanks for your help in advance!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can get a "pre pay" card with any Irish carrier.
    I think Vodafone has best coverage but they all should work fine anywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think Tesco Mobile will be your best bet.

They are a virtual carrier, who use the o2 network which has very good coverage.

You can pick up a Sim card at any Tesco Store. Tescos is the biggest supermarket chain in Ireland.

Their plans are here http://shop.tescomobile.ie/pay-as-you-go-plans.aspx

For instance €25 gets you unlimited calls and texts to other Tesco mobiles, unlimited texts to any network and unlimited data. They also double your credit to €50 which you then can spend on calls to other networks or calls and texts back home.

One of the reasons I recommend Tesco Mobile to tourists is that they have some of the cheapest international rates if you want to call back home.

If you are ariving into Dublin there is a Tesco in Temple Bar at the center of Dublin city.

If that is too much trouble, there are numerous shops and kiosks at Dublin Airport that sell pay as you go sim cards for the various big companies, o2, Vodafone and Meteor

Niabail wrote: »
    is it considered outstation call?
    Not sure what this means but calls to anywhere inside Ireland is the same.
    If you ring another mobile in Kerry or one in Dublin it's the same rate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If the Tesco Mobile sounds like too much trouble, these guys have a shop at the arrivals hall of Terminal 1 Dublin Airport and offer the following sims:

http://www.simlocal.ie/sim-cards.html?limit=30

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niabail

Thanks everyone!! I think I'd try TESCO if possible...unlimited data is really enticing!

I arrive at Cork airport, and will then drive to Kinsale, and on the following day to Killarney and Portmage. Is there a TESCO is any of these cities, I wonder?

• Advertisement

Go to http://www.tesco.ie/ and look for the store locator. It also has a section about Mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Niabail wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!! I think I'd try TESCO if possible...unlimited data is really enticing!

I arrive at Cork airport, and will then drive to Kinsale, and on the following day to Killarney and Portmage. Is there a TESCO is any of these cities, I wonder?

Have a look at the websites of Lycamobile, Meteor & Three and compare their payg offers. Some of them are better than Tesco. O2 & Vodafone are the two dearest networks. By the way there are Tesco stores in most towns with 8k population or more.

Advertisement