Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you tip?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I am visiting Ireland and am wondering if you could help me understand when I should or shouldn't give a tip for services.

I understand that when a service charge is already imposed, no tip is necessary.

But when do I tip?
    Restaurant?
    Bar?
    If i take a photography class, do I tip the instructor?
    If i take boat ride, do i tip?
    B&B owner, do I tip?

Thanks in advance for helping!! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's considered good manners to tip the first person to respond to your post!

:)

Seriously though. Restaurants only here. About 10%. And only when it's not automatically added to the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niabail

LOL endacl...gladly!!!
    Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

endacl wrote: »
    Seriously though. Restaurants only here. About 10%. And only when it's not automatically added to the bill.

I only tip if I've got decent service, you're not obliged to do so here.

I only tip if I've got decent service, you're not obliged to do so here.

:-)

By the way...is sterling pound accepted?
    I heard they it is typically accepted 1:1 to Euro...true? That means I lose out in exchange rate if I use Sterling Pound?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Most places will take your sterling and yes it will be 1:1 so you will lose out in exchange rates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Also on the tipping, you don't have to tip anyone at all if you don't wish to. Even in restaurants where they don't include it on the bill. It's not a big thing here as we have a minimum wage that's across the board pretty much

Sorry, folks, but this thread isn't suited to Humanities. OP, I hope you received an adequate answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement