Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Wedding Venues South East

Options
  • 17-07-2013 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know this question comes up a lot, and I've looked through previous threads and have checked out some venues mentioned, but myself and my Fiance are hoping to get married next Summer and would like to do something different to the traditional hotel wedding. Unfortunately at the moment it looks like a hotel wedding is most affordable on our small-ish budget.

We're both from Wexford and living in Dublin so ideally we'd like to stay around the southeast area, Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Dublin, etc. But we're actually not too fussy and wouldn't mind travelling for the right venue so we're looking around the midland counties too.

If anyone has any suggestions, hints or tips about where we could look or what options are available to us they'd be greatly appreciated. We'll be having a humanist ceremony and hope to have in or around 80-100 guests and, like everyone, are working to a pretty tight budget.

We'd love to have an outdoor wedding but are aware that that might not be possible.

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

ballybeg house
    lisnavagh house
    Borris house

these may be above your budget but they may be more resonable for a midweek date

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Have u checked out Atheneaum House Hotel in Waterford... it is a bit different than the usual hotel weddings..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Have looked at Borris house and lisnavagh already but I'll check out the others.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

there is a place somewhere in Westmeath that do wedding party glamping, sorry not much help but if you google it, supposed to be a great set up

LJ82 wrote: »
    there is a place somewhere in Westmeath that do wedding party glamping, sorry not much help but if you google it, supposed to be a great set up

Mount Druid. I've been looking at it already. TBH it looks to be exactly what I'm looking for but unfortunately is probably just out of our budget. Pity because any photos I've seen of weddings there look fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mount druid is lovely but I left it out due to your locations mentioned and didnt see you said midlands too. Glebe house in meath is another cool venue I liked alot.

hmmmm nothing alternative about this hotel in birr but they do very different evening food, was at a wedding there and there was only immediate family and one or two friends for the ceremony and meal, then they invited loads of guests to come for about 6 and had drinks then and the most amazing food was served then at about 8-9, i'm talking pig on a spit, pitta breads with beef straghanoff (spelling!) etc, ice cream cones, chocolate mashmallows.....

the venue was lovely but as I say nothing alternative but the set up of the day was different and might be a bit different, have no idea of prices though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Have you looked at Horetown house? As far as I know you can have the wedding ceremony and the lot there. Beautiful pics here

http://onefabday.com/horetown-house-wedding-by-rubistyle-photography/

What ever you decide I hope you get weather like today!!

LJ82 wrote: »
    hmmmm nothing alternative about this hotel in birr but they do very different evening food, was at a wedding there and there was only immediate family and one or two friends for the ceremony and meal, then they invited loads of guests to come for about 6 and had drinks then and the most amazing food was served then at about 8-9, i'm talking pig on a spit, pitta breads with beef straghanoff (spelling!) etc, ice cream cones, chocolate mashmallows.....

the venue was lovely but as I say nothing alternative but the set up of the day was different and might be a bit different, have no idea of prices though

Which hotel?

I've looked at Horetown alright. Bit out of my budget unfortunately

conf101 wrote: »
    Which hotel?

I've looked at Horetown alright. Bit out of my budget unfortunately

googled it and is county arms in birr, cannot stress how amazing food was, wedding was two years ago though but sure is still just as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

What about getting married in Johnstown Castle and having the reception somewhere like Greenacres (upstairs)? a person I know had their reception in Greenacres and seemingly it was really good.

Thanks for the suggestion Dinkie. Johnstown Castle looks like a great place to get married

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Hi all, I'm also looking for an alternative wedding venue in the South East, but specifically Waterford.

We're getting married next September and a hotel wedding isn't going to happen for us, we've both recently been let go from our jobs and we're trying to do it within a really tight budget 'cause we want to pay for it completely by ourselves.

The reception is looked after, found a restaurant that were offering a great deal so it's just a venue for the actual ceremony that's needed that can hold around 80 people.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I think the Municipal Gallery does weddings, unusual and nice venue IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Dolbert wrote: »
    I think the Municipal Gallery does weddings, unusual and nice venue IMO!

Just Googled it there and had a look, looks fab, thanks a mill for the suggestion, think we'll pop in tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loublue

Hi

Just wondering what venue you used in the end for your Wedding? We are looking for an alternative venue in the south East at the moment for 2015..

thanks

Advertisement