Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make an app

Options
  • 17-07-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have what I think is a pretty good idea for an app but i've literally no idea how to get it going? I dont know anything about computer programming or anything like that. Is there particular people you can contact? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

OrlaBee wrote: »
    I have what I think is a pretty good idea for an app but i've literally no idea how to get it going? I dont know anything about computer programming or anything like that. Is there particular people you can contact? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Depends on your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OrlaBee

Emm, I havnt really thought about a budget or anything like that yet... how much approximately would it cost to develop an app?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

€200 - €2,000,000

You'll probably need to be a bit more specific about the app. For anything but the simplest apps, start thinking in 5 figures and work up from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

There's a few questions you can answer without giving the idea away.
    Is it a game i.e. 3D Graphics, animations etc?
    Does it require a server? Will the app be connecting to a server to share data etc?
    Loads of screens(Facebook/Adverts etc) or a few screens(A simple weather app, an alarm clock app, a flashlight app)?

That should help a bit with a price estimation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 OrlaBee

Hmm... Its not a game and im not sure it would require a server... It would be an app for security, so it would kind of work like the "wheres my droid" app, but obviously does a different job...

Would that website suggested above be reliable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hmm... Its not a game and im not sure it would require a server... It would be an app for security, so it would kind of work like the "wheres my droid" app, but obviously does a different job...
    You'd need a server for that kind of app, so you're talking a mobile app and a Web application at least. Plus, as I presume we're talking the use of location-based services, functionality may well require access to mapping data.

My guess is that you're certainly looking at five figures, unless you choose to go with a student or bottom-feeder (in which case you'll have a separate set of problems).

Note, that's only the development costs; if this is a commercial app, then you've really got to consider marketing costs and your revenue streams.
    Would that website suggested above be reliable?
    I'd check the small print on who ends up owning the idea. They're not doing it for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I have what I think is a pretty good idea for an app but i've literally no idea how to get it going?
    If only I had a cent for every person who said that.

My advice would be to do some research and see if its actually a good idea and viable before even thinking about anything else.

Advertisement