Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP and Social Welfare Form

Options
  • 17-07-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Not sure if this is the right place , but any help gratefully recieved.
    I had a surgical procedure done by an oral surgeon who gave me a cert for 4 days off work. My employer pays 2 days sick leave and I need to get an MC1 form completed for the 3rd and 4th day by my GP. I rang the GP and he says I need to make an appointment which will cost €60 , just for him to sign the MC1 form even though I have a cert from the Dentist.
    Is there any other way I can get the form or get it signed and is this normal practice for a GP ?
    The GP is a medical centre as opposed to your local family friendly GP.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't get illness benefit for day 3, only day 4 and after.

The GP gets paid a (pretty small from memory) fee for issuing the certificate if its claimed, and I could see a consultation charge for verifying that you actually qualify as being arguably justified - as it is legally them making the decision that you're unfit for work. Citizens Information claims you shouldn't have to pay due to the GP being paid by the DSP but that would be referring to the ordinary situation of someone having attended anyway.

Someone who actually has a DSP/GP agreement might be able to confirm the precise legality of it though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MYOB wrote: »
    You won't get illness benefit for day 3, only day 4 and after.

The GP gets paid a (pretty small from memory) fee for issuing the certificate if its claimed, and I could see a consultation charge for verifying that you actually qualify as being arguably justified - as it is legally them making the decision that you're unfit for work. Citizens Information claims you shouldn't have to pay due to the GP being paid by the DSP but that would be referring to the ordinary situation of someone having attended anyway.

Someone who actually has a DSP/GP agreement might be able to confirm the precise legality of it though.

Right the fee the DSP pay is about €7 and is for the certification rather than the examination/consultation.
    Legaly the GP is supposed to examine or at least see you before certifying you.
    Unfortunately I don't think there is a way around have to pay him/her but it is worth asking in advance if there is any chance of a reduced charge.

Advertisement