Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid summer cold

Options
  • 17-07-2013 2:21pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

In arguably the nicest period of weather for the past decade, I have succumbed to a cold complete with sore throat and congested sinuses.

I don't know anyone else who is sick right now so where did this thing come from? Does anyone else know people who are sick? I've been out in the sunshine non-stop for the past week so not even cooped up with others. None of my work colleagues are ill.

Not looking for medical advice, just reassurance that I am not the only person in the entire country with the sniffles right now.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There's something doing the rounds in work. Even not being locked in a room with people, it's hard to avoid them and their icky diseases.
    We need some control hermits, who order food delivered and wiped with alcohol wipes before they touch it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Colds can happen at any time. AFAIK, they don't have much to do with cold weather.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Colds can happen at any time. AFAIK, they don't have much to do with cold weather.

They happen more often in autumn and winter time though, there's no disputing that, so it would appear some characteristic of winter encourages the prevalence of colds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

They happen more often in autumn and winter time though, there's no disputing that, so it would appear some characteristic of winter encourages the prevalence of colds.

People crowding together indoors, in often humid conditions? Rather than out and about, or windows wide open, warm and dry?

People crowding together indoors, in often humid conditions? Rather than out and about, or windows wide open, warm and dry?

Some cold strains survive better in low humidity so you could be on to something there. Don't think humidity or even human contact is wholly sufficient to explain the disparity though.

Cold weather dries out nasal passages which would make them more susceptible to infection also..

None of this helps me however.. sniff.

Edited to add: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/997/why-is-winter-the-season-for-colds-flu-etc

This article is interesting, especially the point about physiological stress in winter.. bottom line is I think no one knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm just emerging the other end of a three-week horror of a cold, exactly as you described.

I reckon I can thank Ryanair for it though... it started about two days after a 3.5 hour flight. But I can tell you that feeling that sick in 30+ degrees while on a very active holiday was No Fun.

All the heat, and dry weather, and sea swimming (salty water has magical properties, no?) and even alcohol (surely has some therapeutic effect???) wouldn't shift it, and it lasted almost a full two weeks after I got home.

Never again (hopefully).

You have my sympathies, OP :mad:

It's likely because of people being in closer proximity, rather than the weather conditions. But they can still occur at any time of the year.
    Cold weather dries out nasal passages which would make them more susceptible to infection also.

I would have thought less dampness would mean less infections. Not sure about viruses, but bacteria loooove their water. Helps with motility, both for flagellate and non-motile bacteria, the non-motile bacteria using Brownian motion.

And my poor feet know all about how much bacteria love humid, damper conditions, the result being athlete's foot. :-/

The common cold is a still a bit of a mystery, but it's not usually life-threatening so nobody seems arsed putting any research into it.

The common cold is a still a bit of a mystery, but it's not usually life-threatening so nobody seems arsed putting any research into it.

Au contraire, there's the Cardiff University centre for common cold research! :)

Au contraire, there's the Cardiff University centre for common cold research! :)

Well, that's good! Because it does need to be researched, as I'd imagine it costs a lot in worker efficiency every year.

And I was wrong, apparently viruses like the dried out nasal passages. I guess the surface would be more damaged or something, providing an entry point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Theres an establishment thats not to be sneezed at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

And my poor feet know all about how much bacteria love humid, damper conditions, the result being athlete's foot...
    (My emphasis added)

That's fungus, not bacteria!

(My emphasis added)

That's fungus, not bacteria!

Aye, tis, but what I said still stands for bacteria too. Though dry nasal passages would provide entry points too.

Well, that's good! Because it does need to be researched, as I'd imagine it costs a lot in worker efficiency every year.

And I was wrong, apparently viruses like the dried out nasal passages. I guess the surface would be more damaged or something, providing an entry point.

Don't forget that mucus is highly effective against infection also:

http://www.biospectrumasia.com/biospectrum/news/188971/viruses-mucus-protects-infections

Advertisement