Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon on Monday night

Options
  • 17-07-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,

I don't know how to describe this correctly but i will give it a shot.

I was looking at the moon in Dublin City center (Smithfield looking south east). The moon was what I will call a 'half-moon' as half of the moon was in darkness(I could only see half of it)

All of a sudden another shadow appeared from the bottom of the bright side and began to engulf the entire bright side until the entire moon was gone from sight. The shadow that appeared over the moon had a curved edge leaving me to assume its a disc shape.

Can anyone tell me what the object that blocked out the moon was? I thought it was the earth, but from the angle the light from the sun was on the moon it didn't look like that was it. Then I thought it could be Mercury or Venus, but they would not cast such a large shadow. At the moment I'm 99% certain it was one of the ships from Independence Day so it would be great if someone could explain this. Also it looked very eerie, the moon just being swallowed up by something.

Picture attached. (the blue '?' mark is what obscured the moon)

Thanks,
    grodge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

the monday i'm refering to is 15/07/13 and the time was about 10/11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Clouds?

Could be, it happened really slowly, over about 10 mins. So it could be a really round, really slow cloud :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Was observing the moon from 8-9 that evening but then clouds rolled in so, sorry, can't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Clouds or UFOs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

grodge wrote: »
    Could be

Well no, its not a could, its a certainty :D - always ask yourself, what makes more sense? In this case, what on earth (or in the sky!) could cause this other than clouds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

95% sure that it was clouds.

But loving the curiosity that went into it :)

Yeah I'm not really buying this cloud theory, it sounds too coordinated if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

OP, almost certainly clouds. But just to say -- was very impressed with the scientific approach to documenting the observations.

I was up late last night and I seen something similar happen, this time it was definitely clouds, as the moon reappeared.

maybe I just happened to look when there was a massive bank of cloud that blocked out the moon, and kept it blocked longer than I was willing to wait and see if it reappeared.

Thanks for all the help :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement