Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local authority housing for people with disabilities.

Options
  • 17-07-2013 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

i know this question falls under two separate forums so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place.

to cut a long story short, I'm 31, i am suffering with a progressive physical illness which limits my mobility in my legs and back, unmarried, I'm back living in the family home as i need assistance with basic tasks like showering.

our shower is an over bath one, which I'm finding increasingly difficult to use, to the point where my elderly mother is helping me. My bedroom being up stairs is also an issue, clearly.

our home is being knocked down soon to facilitate regeneration so there is no point in spending money to have the bathroom refurbished. The new house will have the same layout and will be much further from services.

given these circumstances do you think I'd be eligible for suitable local authority housing? And does anyone know what the waiting times are for housing for a person suffering with a progressive illness?

also, what kind of medical documentation do you think i would require? Any other info i should know would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Could you expand on the arrangement for the 'new house'? Is this social housing? Who will own the new house?

Your best bet may well be to start working on the council now to ensure that the new house meets your needs. There are standard processes out there for applying for social housing, or for applying for adapting a private house- but perhaps neither of these apply to your situation.

Check out the social housing application form and instructions online to get a feel for the medical documentation that you need. You'll probably need a consultant or GP report, and ideally an OT recommendation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

RainyDay wrote: »
    Could you expand on the arrangement for the 'new house'? Is this social housing? Who will own the new house?

Your best bet may well be to start working on the council now to ensure that the new house meets your needs. There are standard processes out there for applying for social housing, or for applying for adapting a private house- but perhaps neither of these apply to your situation.

Check out the social housing application form and instructions online to get a feel for the medical documentation that you need. You'll probably need a consultant or GP report, and ideally an OT recommendation also.

My mum owns the house, and when she gets the new house it will be a key for key situation. She will therefore own the new house too.
    I know that the new house can be adapted but its going to be too far from a bus service for me to even be able to leave the house. Usually i can manage a short trip to the shops or the doctor once a week if i pace myself. But the walk from the new site of the houses would be impossible for me.

Never thought of OT report to be honest. Thats a great tip. Thanks very much. I'll get the ball rolling tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You're in a similar position to many people of your age, keen to get out of the family home and live independently. The housing officers might say that 'your housing need is met' in the family home, so you'll need to push hard to show that this is not the case. You'll also need to show how your care needs will be met, so hook up with your local Centre for Independent Living or other service provider to put these plans in place.

You're in a similar position to many people of your age, keen to get out of the family home and live independently. The housing officers might say that 'your housing need is met' in the family home, so you'll need to push hard to show that this is not the case. You'll also need to show how your care needs will be met, so hook up with your local Centre for Independent Living or other service provider to put these plans in place.

Thanks for the advice Rainy Day :) i didn't think of looking into that. Thats a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I was told the same thing. In addition, I was also told that, as I am over the income limit, and have sufficient savings, I cannot put my name on the housing list.

• Advertisement

I was told the same thing. In addition, I was also told that, as I am over the income limit, and have sufficient savings, I cannot put my name on the housing list.

well i don't have any income except my disability and i have very little savings, and what i do have is tied up in a credit union loan.

Advertisement